R12 to R134a Questions

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by DaveZ28, Mar 12, 2006.

1. DaveZ28

DaveZ28 Member

Does anyone know where to get R12-R134a conversion kits? Or what parts need to be replaced, etc. I have also heard that a larger condensor is needed to get rid of additional heat and wether this is necessary. Thanks.

2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I've converted a couple to the R134, worked ok for Ohio summers, not sure about Ariz. I put on a new dryer and exp. valve, new PAG oil, evacuated and recharged with refrig. Getting the right amount of refrig is pretty critical. Not enough and the compressor cycles and air is not that cold, too much and the compressor runs all the time, air is cold until you stop and idle, then the air warms up for some reason. Might be other things at work with this though. Also seemed to have a lot of problems with leaks, so I'd suggest getting an O-ring kit for the type car, 6 or 7 dollars, and replace all of them while you're at it. Overall, the R134 works ok without any major changes.

3. 73Z28LT

73Z28LT Veteran Member

Almost every jobber stores carry or can get conversion kits. Alot of shops don,t bother. There are also DIY kits that come with a sealer and a can of refridgerent but it is always best to use gauges and add the right amount.

4. DaveZ28

DaveZ28 Member

Well, I suppose the next question is it possible to convert from the A6 (big and heavy) compressor to the R4 or maybe even R6. I know these are aluminum construction and much lighter, but I was wondering if they are compatible with the controls that exist in the car.

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I forget the actual numbers, but the old compressor somewhat bigger in capacity than the R4. Might hurt the cooling capacity of the system. The controls should work with either compressor though.

6. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

R134a conversion kits $30-ish has oil and fittings and labels.

A6 compressor, its big and good.If you swap the Eng ACC drive and use brackets that allow an R4, it will work well too.

If you want to remove the A6 and would like to use a Sanden (or Equiv) compressor, bracket kits are available.

I can hook you up with any part that you need.

7. DaveZ28

DaveZ28 Member

Sanden? Where is that from and how much would it run. I am mostly wondering if it would bolt up to the stock condensor and evaportator or if I am going to end up replacing most of the system to get it working.

8. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

New hoses can be made, The old fittings can be reused with new hose.
    also fittings to fit a sanden comp can be installed on old hoses or new hoses.

many possibilities.

9. DaveZ28

DaveZ28 Member

Well if the Sanden out performs the A6, what would be the cost of that unit. Assuming it would just replace the old unit and I could use the rebuilt hoses and same fittings.

10. 1978LT

1978LT Veteran Member

Everywhere I've read, they recommend 75-80% volume of the 134 as you would the 12, as the 134 runs at a higher pressure. The larger condenser helps also.I'd go with the R4 or Sandsen compressor also. I think you'd be happy!