Railroad question ....

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by muscl car, May 17, 2018.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Anyone know train horn signals ???

I live within 3/4 mile of a major North / South rail line which there is (2) tracks operated by BNSF and Union Pacific . Also the section I'm near is a 70mph section with no crossings for 30 plus miles .I'm in between to major rail yards the San Bernardino and Barstow yards

The last couple months I keep hearing train horns on some trains but not all of them and curious what the signal means !!

I keep hearing a long blast followed by up to 3-4 short blasts and like i mentioned notevery train does this

Could this be for animals or people walkingon/near the tracks ??

Here's a list of train horn signals from BNSF

https://www.up.com/aboutup/funstuff/horn_signals/index.htm

2. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    trains around here (I can hear them from where I'm sitting right now) will blow their horns at anyone who waves at them, to say hello

muscl car likes this.
  3. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
  4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I never paid any attention to the train horns. I've lived within a mile or so of a main line for most of my life so I hear them every day. I find their horns to be a nice sound, unlike the noise of jets taking off which I find annoying.

5. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    My all time favorite train song.

Zstar likes this.
  6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    Somewhere I have a tape of a Wes Harrison album. His bit about driving through a town at night with the speaker in his grill. He's do a voice imitation of a train with horn and bells. People were out beating the weeds looking for the tracks as they didn't have any in that town.