***Ram jet 350 problem ***

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 72BIGBLOCK, Nov 23, 2016.

1. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

so I'm tired of dealing with this ram jet 350
    It's a first generation ramjet 350 that was never fired up until now it's only been started up about five or six times but has not been moved because the TV cable on the 700 is not set yet

Anyways it runs like crap it'll start but I have to sit there and give it gas I'm pretty tired of this thing so from what I've learned or been reading most people aren't happy with the first generation factory marine set up

That's where my dilemma comes in.. I can call ez EFI and they have a retrofit kit for it that should solve most of my problems that costs $900

Or I can call if Fi tech get their standard kit from 150 horse power to 400 complete kit for the same price am I better off doing that ?

Should I buy an Fitech tech kit and swap out the ram jet intake or should I keep the ramjet 350 and go with the ez EFI but the problem with that is it doesn't control timing so would it even run right ?

both fixes cost around the same so the only advantage would be labor I guess which I plan on doing myself

If I could do it again I would just go the LS swap Route and this thing would be running already :(

2. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Port injection is better than throttle body, hands down. So I would keep the port injection hardware and upgrade the computer control.

I spent the extra cash to go port rather than tbi.

3. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

What are looking to do?

if you want smooth idling, easier starting, better economy then go with one of the newer throttle body solutions. FiTech, Holley and Edelbrock have ones for around 900 just check options because some require more money for additional features.

If you want perforomance nothing beats port injected, I am making 530hp with Edelman Proflo 1 and still finding power plus I have smooth idling, easier starts and better economy.

4. 72BIGBLOCK

I'm just looking to get the ramjet to run right
    My main goal is drivability and reliability

I agree with woody on the port injection, good point

So far all signs point to ez efi

5. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

I don't have a RAM Jet but do you have diagnostics?

You could have a bad injector, vacuum leak, bad hall effect sensor, you should be able to pull the trouble codes. The setup you have is very rudimentary ... you have a TPS, MAP, IAC, RPM and Injectors.

6. 72BIGBLOCK

So far diagnostic shows no codes

7. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Does your engine have a 9th injector? Some of the older EFI setup had that for enrichment ... you stated when you start it ... you need to keep pressing the throttle.

Also, I would check the TPI setting to make sure it is calibrated correctly.

8. 72BIGBLOCK

I don't think there's a 9th injector
    But I'll double check how can I make sure it's calibrated correctly ?
    That's something else I'll check on since it sat for a while

I also heard the distributor on these things as bad anybody heard about those or anything on the distributor ?

9. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d.../02_pdfs/ramjet-350-crate-engine-12499120.pdf

I found the Ramjet installation document, see page 7 it mentions the correct setup procedure ... pay attention to the Initial Timing setup ... I have to do the same on my ProFlo and never drive while in Timing mode.

Check page 9 it tells you what PSI you need to run to keep the fuel pressure up and at what point you need to keep the flow at depending on the throttle.

Also, with the DTC tool can you check the MAP sensor and TPS?

You can also buy the service manual, http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Per...et-350-Engine-Service-Manual/2806363/10002/-1

I believe you still need to determine root cause of your issue before you dive into the FITech or any other solution you might have a fuel pump issue, distributor issue or a sensor issue and that would suck to do all the work to convert and still have the problem.

10. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

I will be the first one to say I don't know anything about the computer GM is running on the RamJet.

I do own a ski boat with a Mercruiser Black Scorpion (same engine with a slightly different intake?) and it runs excellent. Nearly 1000 hours and it has been the model of reliability.

You have other options. I have a '99 Vortec with a StealthRam intake in my '72 Suburban. I'm running a Microsquirt for a controller. No issues other than making sure the sub systems are working properly before trying to fix a drivabilty concern in software. ;)

Megsquirt/Microquirt controllers are in the $300-$400 range and they both do fuel, timing and other things.