Read Before You Vote! '12 Fiesta or '12 Civic for me.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by AJ_72, Jan 24, 2013.

Which would you choose if you were in my shoes?

Poll closed Jan 26, 2013.
  1. 2012 Ford Fiesta

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. 2012 Honda Civic

30 vote(s)
    73.2%
  1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes......but I didn't see this option??

2. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

1.) That's you, not me.
    2.) I'm not going to rely on a high mileage Olds. That's why I'm looking to get rid of it and get something more reliable. I thought that was obvious, but evidently not.
    3.) I never claimed Olds was on any list. You make it sound as if I'm defending Oldsmobile. I'm merely pointing out that a higher mileage car, regardless of what make it is, is pointless for me to buy. I need a lower mileage car that still has a warranty and if it does need repairs, I can get a loaner until it gets fixed. A loan on a car that doesn't run, leaves me stranded at home, and of which I have to pay to get fixed is not on my agenda.

I've replaced the water pump. I've replaced the thermostat. I've taken it to a well trusted radiator shop. The problem has yet to be narrowed down and to spend any more money on a car that's worth less than the repairs cost is also "not smart money".

Not a better job. A job. Life isn't always a bed of rose petals. Sometimes the thorns are left on the bed and stick you in the arse, too.
    I am being smart about it. I'm looking to buy a newer, more reliable car which has a warranty and will also be financially economical in regards to the cost of fuel which will offset the monthly payment.

I've done the math, and only working 5 days a week I'm looking at putting ~$325 to $350 a month in the tank of the Olds. That's 1.) At current gas prices, 2.) not figuring in any overtime. I can drop that cost by about $110 a month with either of the two cars I've listed. The payment will be roughly $140 over that of driving my higher mileage car with no car payment.

As have I, which is why I can appreciate it. Trust me, I've weighed the options many, many times. Even developed a spread sheet which calculates all the scenarios I've come up with, and to me, it makes more sense to spend the extra $140/mo.

Plus, keep in mind, as the price of fuel increases, and if I do end up driving there 6 days a week opposed to 5, my choice benefits me even more, financially.

I know you do, and I also appreciate that. I've always been very frugal and for me, either of these cars is by far, the best decision for me, in my particular situation.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  3. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

4. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

I would go for the Diesel VW also it gets 50+mpg

Michael

5. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

There is no VW dealer in my area.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Based on this info - I would not choose either of the two options you are currently considering.

Used car prices have increased since Cash for Clunkers making new vehicles a better deal.

I would select a brand new car - leftover 2012 (preferably) or 2013. I think you can find a new car with a full factory warranty basically the same money - or less ($16,000).

I would also probably look for a brand that gives you a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty - neither Ford or Honda do that. A new car with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty gives you 3 - 4 years of major component warranty.

You also won't have half worn out tires if you buy new and you will know for sure how it's been maintained. Banks normally give a better interest rate on new cars (possibly 0% from the dealer).

This is a car that you most likely will keep for a long time to get the best value out of it because of the mileage. When you keep a vehicle for 6 - 10 years - depreciation really doesn't matter because once your over 100,000 miles - people look at condition more than they do the age of the vehicle or the miles.

Pick a new car, maintain it well and I think you'll find the total cost of ownership will be less in the long run.

7. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

there are a bunch of guys here at work driving new Fiestas as their gas mileage buggies...the claim they are a very FUN car to drive

8. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

Honda. No brainier. Ask anyone who owns one.

9. 91chevywt

91chevywt Veteran Member

Honestly, you won't go wrong with a '12 Civic or '12 Fiesta. Just pick one that has the styling and options you prefer. They'll both be reliable.

Like said before, look at getting a new leftover (couple thousand off MSRP) rather than used. Try to haggle. Explain your situation and you'll probably find someone willing to work with you. Tell them what you can spend and be firm, and don't be afraid to walk out. A year-old compact will be marked almost as high as new at a dealership. The best way to buy a year-old and get a reasonable price is to buy privately, likely from someone that didn't want to get screwed on a trade-in.

10. z2880

z2880 Veteran Member

my fathers wife has a 12 civic and she loves it! they live in uper vermont she has no heating issues the biggest problem i see is she parks it next to an ugly mopar (64 vallient (Barracuda eddition))