Rear brake line fitting size/thread for replacement

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Da_Raabi, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

What is the correct replacement brake line fitting for the rear solid lines? I was trying to connect a set of 79 T/A brake lines (the ones with the big U-shape on the end) to a caliper and boogered up the threads on the fitting. I need to cut it off and re-flare with a new fitting, but can't figure out what size/thread it is. It's purple if that helps at all. It appears to be the exact same fitting that attaches to the front brake hoses, the rear brake hose T fitting etc.

Thanks!

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Its a brass "T" fitting from Dorman #785-436 Summit has it but most any Auto parts store or even a hardware store .In the brass fitting section. It might just be the same as the Camaro/Firebird It wouldn`t much sense for Pontiac to use a special fitting when they don`t have to,

3. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Thanks for getting back to me, but I think I must have asked for the wrong thing. I'm looking for the fitting that goes on the solid line itself. It's purple and is what would screw into that T fitting. , you can't get it off of the line without cutting the line.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Is it the line itself? You can use AN type fittings or check some of the reproduction parts suppliers ,Classic industries ,the Firebird sites. Or take the hose to a Auto parts store NAPA ,Autozone ,etc .And try to match it up,

5. falloutboy

falloutboy Veteran Member

Pictures would really help here.

6. 81BirdMan

81BirdMan Veteran Member

The (purple) fitting on the hard line, which threads into the brass block (pic not mine).

[​IMG]

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

You can take an open end wrench to check the size.Its an "old school"way of doing .I would in a pipe thread flared fitting because of the amount of pressure.I hope that help a little.

8. falloutboy

falloutboy Veteran Member

First of
    You don't need such a brass block

Second
    The fitting depends on what kind of caliper or brake cylinder u actually use.
    Easiest way to find out is to look up ur caliper or OE brake cylinder (drum brakes)on rockauto . Open the info for that part. Look what inlet thread and sealing method it has.
    With this info go to ur local hardware / parts store and purchase the fitting.

Remember if you replaced a part of the line you also have to buy a new line section. Fittings for old and new line to connect. Fitting to connect to brake
    AND
    Have a flare tool to make the needed flares.

Tool might be for rent

Hope this helps you now

9. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Ohhhh kay. Looks like I need to explain here. I am cobbing together a rear disc setup using mostly OEM parts from a few different sources. I have brand-new OEM 1979 T/A brake lines, like the ones posted in the image by 81BirdMan. I am using 79 T/A backing plates as well, however I am using calipers from an 81 Malibu. They are essentially the same caliper, but they do not have the brass block, so I need to connect hoses to them so I can use a banjo bolt. So here is the idea:

1. Stainless hose coming from the frame to the diff, has the T fitting on the end.

2. Stock T/A solid brake lines (with the purple fitting on the ends) shortened up with re-flared ends (I have a flaring tool)

3. Using weld-on brackets (below), welded to the axle tubes to keep the ends of the lines steady
    [​IMG]

4. Stainless hoses from the lines to the calipers

I've got everything I need for this on the way, I was just trying to figure out what the purple fitting is so I can get another one. I'm actually using the exact same brake hoses as the ones on the front, which kept things simple. Russell 672030 I think is the part number for the kit.

10. Rick Figus

Rick Figus New Member

Part UFP 32275