Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Brizio, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Z28 Mark

Z28 Mark Veteran Member

I have been wanting to put disc brakes on my "73 Z28 and now have the money to do it. I was wanting to keep the 15" rims and the "Right Stuff" does have a kit for this- Does the slimier kit from Summit compare to this? Any other good deals out there?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I did some checking around, seems like the lower price kits that use GM parts with manufactured brackets, cables, hoses, etc, are all comparable in price. The break will be in taxes, shipping, or if someone is offering a discount. Be aware that the lowest cost kits do not include parking brakes. I did not opt for slotted disc, braided hoses, or powder coated calipers either. Painted mine with hi temp paint, no problems.

3. Patrick1971Ls6

Patrick1971Ls6 New Member

I just did a four wheel modern disc brake set up on my car from right stuff, powder coated calipers single piston, slotted 11.5 rotors parking brake worked out well. Under 1,000 bucks.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I use a complete Baer 4 wheel disc brake kit 13" front ,12" back. An 84 Corvette master cylinder and a 1979-81 Firebird WS-6 proportioning valve. But on the lower end I would try to find a WS-6 Firebird setup.It would probably be a lot less money .And cheaper as well. Its something Chevrolet should of offered.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Curious about the Corvette MC, was that a direct bolt on and what advantage is there for that VS one from a WS6 like the prop valve?
    Thanks
    Fleet

6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Now that everybody and their brother are making the rear "screw" calipers these kits are dirt cheap bolt on everything included in the sub $500 market.....IF you like that type of PITA e-brake set-up that GM did 40 yrs ago. I personally do NOT (my bird is GM wheel disc) I would gladly convert the rear to SOMETHING with an internal drum type e-brake....when i get that far down on my list... :(

cadillac_al likes this.
  7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would much rather remember to occasionally engage the e-brake while in reverse to keep adjustment, rather the complexity of another brake system.

8. GDSmith

GDSmith Veteran Member

cadillac_al, mrfleet12 and dave@ztech like this.
  9. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

10. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

never seen that one!...yay....but using a Citation caliper...WTF.....BUT i bet it would be an EASY fix to take that plate and mod it for say...S-10 or C-5 calipers!!!! solves that entire 2wd drive 4 wd blazer mess for the backing plates??