Rear disc conversion

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 78JakeZ28, Aug 16, 2018.

1. 78JakeZ28

78JakeZ28 New Member

has anyone ever used the rear disc brake conversion kit you can get from rickscamaros.com if so how did they work out? Are they any good?

2. 78JakeZ28

78JakeZ28 New Member

3. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome, lots of great information here. I haven't used the conversion kit but I'm sure others have. You can do a search here and hopefully find some threads where they discuss them.

78JakeZ28 likes this.
  4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I didn't use the Ricks kit, used the Right Stuff brake conversion kit; https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/afxrd07
    Most of these kits use a GM caliper and rotor with application specific brackets. It's a pretty much straight forward install, and if you're half way mechanically inclined, all will go well, just pay attention to the directions. Two biggest issues is getting all the air out of the caliper and parking brake adjusted. The Right Stuff has a pretty good online video with some good tips.

78JakeZ28 likes this.
  5. brye

brye New Member

I installed this on the camaro i am building - https://www.summitracing.com/tx/parts/rsd-afxrd06z/overview/ . I was doing the rear end at the same time so pulling the axles to install the dust cover wasn't a big deal. If you don't pull the axels i would probably modify the dust cover by cutting them to still use without pulling axles.

78JakeZ28 likes this.
  6. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

I used the right stuff kit as well and it was easy to install. I have noticed a big difference in braking performance also. Much better pedal feel and great bite to the braking system of the car if that makes sense.
    009.JPG

012.JPG

diff 3.JPG

7. 78JakeZ28

78JakeZ28 New Member

I appreciate the input I just ordered the kit! Yours looks great!

8. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

So are those just the ratchet TA or Caddy calipers?

9. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

I started with the right stuff kit and ended up replacing the caddy e brake calipers with later front GM calipers ans there was not enough wheel clearance with my 15X14 wheels. The right stuff calipers are way too flimsy as well. They suck. Replaced those with brackets from speedway . None of it worked all that well until I installed hydroboost though. That was like flipping a switch between OK brakes and simply awesome brakes.

Its all about to go away in favor of a Strange 4 piston rear disk kit.

10. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can get a strange 4 piston to fit in 15 inch rims?