Rear end advice

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Gasoholic, Aug 5, 2019.

1. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

You can run real quick with leaf's and 9-10" rear tires with the proper set-up. Won't lie, it takes time to tune, but so cool when it works.

My friend has run low 10's with 15x8 steel wheels and skinny PolyGlass tires, leaf's and no bars, crazy quick and looks stock.

dave@ztech likes this.
  2. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

I'm putting together a 71 to drag race now. I am planning on going with a 9" as well. What do these cars like for pinion angle? I'm building it to take on Rocky Mountain race week next year. It's been years since I raced my old 72 and I sure miss it. LOL

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

That would depend on the bushings used and front portion of the spring stack/design. Very close friend I am referring to has built some custom springs for a few of the "F.A.S.T" competitors, but very tight lipped about it as they 60ft insanely well with those skinny Polyglass tires.

Looking at it from an horizontal plane only perspective and not taking into account compound angles, or if the engine has been moved/tilted, looking around 3.5 to 5.5* with the solid front bushing, used up to 7* in some cases. Lots of trial and error. Have hit the 1.3's in the 60 with true 10" ET streets and lastly 1.4" with the PolyGlass'.

71RSLS likes this.
  4. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

The springs I have currently are 5 leaf and I don't know the specs/brand. They have poly bushings in the springs now. I was going to put delrin in the rear uppers. I'm not set on anything currently and open to advice. I was planning on running leaf springs and cal-tracks. Mainly because budget and I see a lot of them getting down tracks easily. I was blown away when I found out what some of those 10.5 cars run on leaf springs.

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

71RSLS, I'll answer as this may help Gasoholic, but don't want to hijack his thread, if I have, I apologize Gasoholic.

I do not use any urethane/poly type material in the rear, or front suspension for that matter. Delrin with aluminum or steel inserts and spherical bearing's only, solid Aluminum in the front spring eye if it's straight line only.

Look at Custom Works, or Pro-touring F-body.com, 79T/Aman on here, that's what I used, and very happy with results and quality.

71RSLS likes this.
  6. An87442

An87442 Member

What are your goals for the car? What do you expect for a 60'. How much does your car weigh? What is your engine combo and horsepower level?
    I'll give you my example. 78Z with a 496BBC. Motor made 810hp at the crank. Car is 3500lb with me in it. TH350 with a TB. Gears are 4.30 on a 28x10.5 slick. I run 10teens consistently with 1.45+/- 60'. I have a factory 10 bolt with an Eaton posi, 28 spline Moser axles with C clip eliminators. Tubes are welded and it has a girdled cover. I run a 15x8-4.5"BS rim. No mini tubs and just some massaging to the seat belt humps and inner quarter lip. I have Caltracs, split monos and Calvert 9 way shocks. The car was lowered 2" too. I have 100's of transbrake launches. It is still holding up. If you want a 9", check out Quick Performance. When mine gives up, that is where I will get mine.

camaro71/holland and 71RSLS like this.
  7. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Member

I suppose I would like the best of both worlds. I would like to have something streetable, but be able to put slicks on it at the track and race it.

I've decided I'm going to scale back on some of my ideas as they are too much for racing only.

I was looking at a really nice 81 camaro last weekend. He did most of the things I've been thinking about doing to mine, and now his car is only a race car. He has it up for sale for 12,5$ He even has a trailer he will sell with it for 17. Its the big block 572 I've been drooling over. Dang that price is way less than I would have into mine doing all the work. Could buy it and race it right away. But more I think about it, its the building it myself thing that I dream about.

I want to build it to be bad ass, and maybe I wont even drive it much. Just want to build it. Maybe just to prove I can actually do it. I don't know.

71RSLS likes this.
  8. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Building them is where the fun is to me as well. That price doesn't sound bad at all. the engine alone is probably $12k to get a crate engine isn't it?

9. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Member

I can get the parts to build the 572 with machine work, clearancing, balancing all done, just have to put it together for about 9k.
    The GM crate motor is somewhere around 15k.

71RSLS likes this.