rear end is off center

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by REALZ22equipped, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

anything within 1/2" should be deemed a trophy! :)

Yeah it kinda sucks to actually measure anything on 1 of these POS.....I removed my mic's and calipers from the garage just to lower my frustration level. (I have 20 yr experience making parts +/- .0001 ")

And yet WE still think WE are the BEST at production quality?????

back to the OP
    You can probably "shift" your rear end by loosening the lower plates and using a prybar....not sure your gonna get 1"...but prolly get 1/2"

2. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

FWIW my 78 TA's rear springs when I pulled them off had almost 3/4-1" difference in arch after 70K miles. The 79 Camaro with who knows how many miles both were identical-so go figure.

3. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Mine was offset to the left (drivers side) about 3/4". It is now centered, but it was easy to do since I turned it into a 3-link setup. Scary thing is how much the driveshaft sits to the right, along with the transmission as well. I see why some have issues with larger driveshafts. You can see the offset in this image, especially with so much of the rear floor cut out.
    [​IMG]

4. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had a 68 Camaro a few years back that had a 2.73 rear end gear I changed over to a 3.90 with new gears and a series 2 to series 3 adaptor ring on the pinion. It had to be shimmed to make work properly and my left rear axle stuck out a lot farther than the left one. Does your car still have stock gears?

5. REALZ22equipped

REALZ22equipped Veteran Member

car had stock 3.08 open dif and and over the summer installed a 8.5 posi 373 rear. i took some pictures yesterday showing the difference between the two sides on level concrete
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

They got a rude awakening in the late 80s/early 90s when sales plummeted. The
    effort was made to turn the boat around, unfortunately with the UAW sucking a
    ton of money from the big three, its like water skiing behind the Titanic. Had GM
    and the others filed bankruptcy, they could have dumped the UAW, but instead
    Obama & Company "helped" them out (yah I am referring to the UAW) by dumping
    a big chunk of our tax money into keeping them fat and happy. Now the UAW has
    a controlling share in both GM and Chrysler.

We go all around the world taking out dictatorships, yet the UAW lives on to do
    continuing damage to our manufacturing base, forcing more and more jobs over
    seas where a form of profit can be seen.

Obama, you want to fix the economy? Disband the UAW and force US companies
    to build factories here. We have enough labor laws that Unions arent needed.

Tom

7. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The rear end's housing where the pinion gear enters the rear end is offset 1/2" to the passenger side because that's how the kept the axles the same length (lowering the production cost of the axles).

As for the rear end not being centered in the car, something isn't right as it should be the same dimension on both sides of the car because the axles are the same length.

Are the wheels the same back spacing and width? Are the leaf springs in good shape (not broken or sagging)? Are the shackles and shacke bushings in good shape?

8. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Up here too. Amen;)

9. REALZ22equipped

REALZ22equipped Veteran Member

ive known that i need new springs and bushings. both spacer and wheel are the same. im guessing from what people are saying is that new springs will correct it. would the torque of the motor and the sagging over the years cause the springs to somewhat shift towards the drivers side?

10. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I went through three setups on swapping leafs on the '73 and it stayed the same +/- 1/8"...Original, then '80 Z28 leafs and finally Global West L-2. Pics. are Global West's 1 1/2" lowering spring, L-2. Total diff. is 9/16" If I could just push it over 9/32" it would be centered.

Passenger's side...
    [​IMG]

Driver's side
    [​IMG]