Rear End score! Now how to proceed...

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by JordonRS355, Apr 23, 2019.

1. JordonRS355

JordonRS355 Member

So today I lucked out and got the next piece to the puzzle. My buddy from work has a friend that owns a junkyard and he hooked me up with a Ford 9 inch reared pulled straight from a 79 Bronco. FOR 50 BUCKS!

[​IMG]

My plans are to clean this sucker up, take some measurements and get the housing in at the right length and setting. From there I’m going to try to find some correct length 31 or higher spline axles for a 9 inch with the GM 5x4.75 bolt pattern so I can run my same wheels. One question I have for anyone else whose done this is what axles did you use? I seen some axles on Speedway Motors that “cut to fit.” Basically the whole axle shaft starting at about half way has splines and I guess you cut at the correct length you need. Any insight on as to whether this is worth a shot? Or even better suggestions are welcome.

2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Once the housing is narrowed and ready to use you can take measurements and call Moser Engineering. They will make the axles to fit with any bolt pattern you want.

4. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Also buy new housing ends or at least make sure yours are the Ford "big bearing" design. It will be easier to find brakes and fit in large axles.

5. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member