Rear Glass Fitment

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by bigdav160, May 15, 2015.

1. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

I'm hoping for final fitment of the left rear quarter panel before welding. Door jam looks good, trunk lid is square and even, filler panel gaps look good, wheel well fine, the rear glass.....not so much. Years ago I had a little accident with my trunk rods and shattered the rear glass. The piece I have now is date coded '72. The glass seems too flat. I can push on the glass and get it to fit pretty well but that doesn't seem right. All the glass installation I've seen, the glass, fits the opening. Any insight?

Drivers side. This sheet metal is all OE. The foam tape is just to protect the glass from sharp metal.

[​IMG]

Passenger side. I've been straightening out old wreck damage with new right frame rail, trunk floor, tail pan, valance, drop off, inner-outer wheelhouse and a complete quarter.

[​IMG]

I know it's hard to see but neither side are touching anything.

2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It looks to me as if your car is too low in the back on the drivers side.Like its twisted,causing the glass to ride up on the passenger side.
    Could you step back,and take some tail pics,and pics of the trunk?
    If the floors level,take some height measurements from the floor to the trunklid gap on both sides.

EDIT-Im assuming the glass checks out right?? lol

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  3. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes, a twisted car is a great fear of mine. Now I wish I had spent the time to build a proper jig. :(

The car is currently setting on level stands at rear rails/ spring seats and front subframe attachments. I just checked the rockers, frame rails, truck lid opening and window opening, with my 6ft level, and everything is still level.

OK, just came back, I'm so paranoid I took out my zip level (electronic water level-never thought I'd use it for anything other than construction) and checked every corner. It looks good.

I don't know how to check the glass (it's been in the attic for 15 years, LOL) but with the little pressure I can get it to conform. I could make some clips to hold it down while the urethane dries.

Another question. There's a ^ shaped peak in the middle of the window flange. Roof edge. Is it suppose to be there? The original window was sealed well. No leaks in the trunk.

[​IMG]

4. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Take a peice of cardboard and trace the curves of the window opening on the side that fits. Cut out and flip it 180 degrees and compare. Or use a coat hanger and bend to shape and use the same process. Also if that glass has been sitting in the attic for 15yrs it may have malformed. You can use the same procedures to compare the curve on the two sides for the glass.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  5. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No "V" fold in the roof flange.That could be a bad sign.
    I would crawl under and check those frame rails.
    If everything checks out like you say,I would try to source another rear glass just to check that then.
    If it still hangs up with the other piece of glass,then your car is twisted,or the victim of a bad repair/horrible misshapen stamping.
    Also,take some cross measurements of your front window.If the backs not tweaked,maybe the front is throwing it off.

6. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

This morning I hammered the ^ out of the flange and the glass fits MUCH better.

I have no explanation of it's cause. There is a dent in the inner roof at the same place.

Thanks again. I feel pretty confident now.