Rear package shelf x-tended life trick!

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by CaptainLC, Mar 27, 2002.

1. CaptainLC

CaptainLC Member

Hello all,

Are you tired of having to replace your rear package shelf every few years due to warping? Want to maintain that factory original appearance etc.? (Cheap GM cardboard. Arrrggg!)
    Buy a new repro (they're cheap enough), make all the necessary cut-outs for speakers and the like. This will be your "master template," and take it to an acrylics fabricator. Use 1/16" acrylic, commonly known as "Plexiglas." Do not use anything thicker than 1/16" Plex, or it wont "tuck" properly under the existing backlight's metal surrounds. Have the fabricator transfer all dimensions from your template onto the 1/16" Plex, and then "tack glue" the GM cardboard to your new acrylic underlayment. Do a dry test before tacking together, and you'll have a beautiful new package shelf that will outlast the original GM part. It will stay straight, and the acrylic underlayment can be re-used the next time you need to replace your cardboard package tray. Just make sure the acrylic fabricator can do the job correctly the first time around. Look in the Yellow Pages under "Plastics/Fabricators."

-CaptainLC-

2. camaroller

camaroller New Member

I recently bought a replacement peice for my package tray and instead of the orrigional material I bought it in a plastic sort of material (not sure exactly what its called). It seems very sturdy and easy to clean I dont think there is much chance of it warping. Not for quite a while anyways.

------------------
    Caleb Schwinn -

3. 81 Berlinetta 267

81 Berlinetta 267 Veteran Member

Mine doesn't warp, it gets dry-rotted. Guess I should be thankful but I still have to replace it so maybe I should be indifferent instead.

4. 72prostreet

72prostreet Veteran Member

thanks for the idea !! i have'nt done mine yet, but thanks .........kevin

------------------
    DO IT NICE NOT TWICE
    picturetrail.com/72prostreet

5. 79camaro305

79camaro305 Veteran Member

For a different trick for the package tray, you could always wrap it in fabric. Granted, it doesn't look original, but it is a great alternative to having a crummy, dryrotted peice back there. I just simply went to Wal-Mart, got a close matching Cotton type fabric, and wraped it over and stapled the fabric to the package tray. Just a thought I figure I would throw out, for a cheap way to fix it.

6. Tigs_70

Tigs_70 Veteran Member

Like 79camaro305 was saying, you can wrap it in fabric, or use a vinyl. There are alot of different style vinyls that are wrinkled and textured to make vinyl look like somethng else. SMS Auto Fabrics [503-234-1175] is a good source {if a little pricey} for almost anything fabric-wise, including the impossible to find hobnail fabric for the Trans Am's. They will send you samples of what you want to boot.

I found the website for SMS if anyone is interested

http://www.smsautofabrics.com/

[This message has been edited by Tigs_70 (edited March 29, 2002).]

7. 1978LT

1978LT Veteran Member

I wrapped mine in the same vinyl that my seats and door panels are done in. It has held up for about 6 years so far.