Rear tires rub, What Springs? 1980 Camaro

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by RSdemon, May 26, 2011.

1. RSdemon

RSdemon New Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Cincinnati,OH
    The rear tires are rubbing on my 1980 Sport Coupe, I have 14x8 with 3" backspace, and 245/60. The inner fender lip is rubbing and gouging the tire, does anyone know of a heavy spring that will get the body jacked up, looking to stay pretty close to 205# and was thinking about AFCO but I am a noob when it comes to old chevy's and any input is appreciated.

2. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Illinois
    You can also roll the fender lip or put the correct back space wheels on if you didn't want to change out the springs.

3. RSdemon

RSdemon New Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Cincinnati,OH
    I thought about getting another set of rims but the wheel profile looks too aggressive to change. how would I roll the fender lip?? I want to avoid cutting if possible.

4. m pozzi

m pozzi Moderator Staff Member

How bad is the rub? If it's minor but annoying, have a body shop do the fender rolling as it takes special tooling to do it right.

Mary Pozzi

5. RSdemon

RSdemon New Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Cincinnati,OH
    It's pretty bad, it's leaving a gouge in the sidewall, I think Springs will help tremendously, considering the car sat in a field for the past 5 years and has been neglected, before I owned it. Thanks though.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Do it right the first time...
    Fix the suspension (rear springs, shocks) then get a set of wheels which fit properly along with tires which aren't gouged.
    It may cost some coin but it's better than losing a cut-down tire in a curve and totalling the car... Or worse!

7. RSdemon

RSdemon New Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Cincinnati,OH
    Any input on what springs would raise it up? I have been working on Suspension and now I need springs I have Bilstein HD shocks on the rear and Afco street strip shocks on the front, I need a heavy duty spring in back for additional stereo equipment, and passengers.

8. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    You should start with stock replacements then I would imagine. If your springs aren't broken, you can have them re-arched. You could also just go to a spring shop and have them get you some springs.

9. norwood

norwood Veteran Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Bartlett, Il
    Get a wheel and tire combination that won't rub is the right answer. Anything else is a bandaid.

10. DentDude

DentDude Veteran Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Columbus,Ohio
    +1