Recommended location for EFI cpu mounting

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by jrobin9, Aug 2, 2006.

1. jrobin9

jrobin9 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Where are you guys mounting you computer and running your wiring harness?

2. patgizz

patgizz Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

i had mine under the dash and ran the main harness out the firewall under the heater box.

3. MikeM79

MikeM79 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]

I made a bracket and hung it from the heater box. The real fun comes in trying to get the harness through the firewall because the two plugs on the ecu are pretty big. I ended up cutting a rectangular hole in the firewall just big enough to pass the plugs through then making a plate to fit over it with semi-circular cut outs for each wire bundle.

4. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

J, the FAST box will fit up on top of the glove box. I punch a hole in the firewall right behind and to the drivers side for the gaggle of wires to go through and snake them behind the heating duct on the tranny tunnel.

I basically unwrap almost all the harness and shorten the leads as well. It's a lot of work to unwrap it but makes a much nicer install.

No reason you can't do what Mike did either, we have done that as well on Truck installs. The FAST computer though is small enough that it will flop right up on top though. A couple of holders for the bundles of wires is enough to support it on top.

Wiring up these systems is quite the project to get looking nice.

5. jrobin9

jrobin9 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had also seen on another site where people had used velcro to attach the FAST on the heater box. I'll probably go the top of glove box route. Hopefully I'll have time this week/weekend to get started with the wiring. Thanks for the help.

6. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

J, velcro would certainly work as long as the harness wiring is well supported to something. The wieght of the end of the harness is heavy with the relays and so forth.