Regal T-Type project worth it?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by sandiego74, Jul 9, 2019.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A gentleman who was working construction on a house nearby noticed my Camaro and struck a conversation with me about cars. He said he had a couple of turbo Buicks he was working on, and mentioned how he was about to pick up another. He just sent me pictures and a video of it, knowing that I was interested.

It’s an ‘87 T-Type, for starters. Mostly original, but there are a few issues. The 3.8 needs the water pump and some of the turbo parts installed still, so it isn’t running. The driver’s side floor also has rust, but he says he has floor pans for it. In fact, he says he has everything it needs, including extra parts, but just doesn’t have the money or time to finish it.

The Grand National is one of my dream cars, and I see this as a cheap way to get into something similar for cheap. He hasn’t given me a price, and wants to negotiate, so I’m going to go check it out in-person. I don’t need another project right now, and I definitely don’t have the room for one, either. If it were running and driving, I wouldn’t hesitate as much. There’s also the issue of getting it to pass SMOG. If I don’t get it, I know a friend that would be interested.

What do you guys think? Anyone with experience on these cars? How easy are they to work on? Are parts readily available, and for cheap?

Thank you.

27DAB3D1-17BC-491F-84FF-71AD3774B363.jpeg 2394A674-4B49-41F2-B4D4-99DCF21142B9.jpeg

2. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

those go UP in value EVERY year!

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just check the frame careful, and they are going up in value.

4. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

I would definitely check for rust everywhere and take your time doing it. As for parts for the engine ZZ Performance are the go to guys for the 3.8 liter engine.

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

shwing!!!!

sometimes you just gotta stretch for it..... or walk away and cry...

6. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

The 87 GN was definitely a bad ass car for it’s day. They did have issues with the oil pump housings being aluminum but that was not a big deal to replace the housing especially if the water pump is still removed

7. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Being a GN, it will not be cheap but they have enough demand for reproduction parts. However the re-production parts market is not as strong as the Camaro. I have a 78 'A' body cutlass and they are easy to work on in my opinion. However my car has no A/C and very little options so it is less cluttered than the later G bodies.

8. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

the Grand National prices keep going up, don't think the T-Types go up in relation

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I owned my '87 Grand Nat'l for 22 yrs with the factory lacquer paint and sold it cause it had too many miles on it. You can't beat 27 mpg/highway and great turbo response. I always dumped the oil/filter after 5,000 mi. Parts are available for these cars too. When you test drive one and if it can't hit redline on both the engine and turbo gauge, walk away. Get one that has posi too and make sure the OD locks up.

10. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thank you for the responses! Yeah, I figured with how much they’ve gone up on value, that I better get one sooner or later. I’ll check it out in-person and report back what I find. Thank you, again!