Reinstalling rear window trim on an 80

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by MoarThrottle, Jun 12, 2019.

1. MoarThrottle

MoarThrottle Veteran Member

So now i can't get the trim to actually clip in in the back....i hate my life...any suggestions?

2. wdstamper

wdstamper Veteran Member

I had the same struggles putting the rear window trim back on my 1981 z28. Once had the clips in, I centered up the bottom trim and popped it on. I had to hit it with the palm of my hand and it popped right on. Did the top the same way. Then, each side. I hope this helps. Good luck.

3. MoarThrottle

Did you start from the bottom and go up to the top? I'm starting at the top and i get all along from drivers side to the passengers side, once i get to the very last couple of clips on the passengers side the drivers side pops off. I go to pop in the drivers side the passengers pops up.

I want to set the damn thing on fire and just walk away.

4. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

The nylon clips seem to grab better. Possible your middle piece has a bow in it causing the edges to pop

5. MoarThrottle

the nylon clips don't fit and the middle piece doesn't have any bow in it. the issue appears to genuinely be that the rear window is installed cockeyed. And since i can't seem to find anyone that will reseat the window correctly for money, i'm thinking i'll have to find some sort of adhesive.

6. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's where I would be at at this point, I would remove the clips and glue the bioch in place and hope to never have to remove it again, HAA HA

7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Ive always pre assembled the trim lay it on glass and slowly push them together till you have correct shape. Rubber stopper that sets glass gap is 3/8” on bottom.

8. roadrace2

roadrace2 Veteran Member

weird question......have you checked the back of your window trim? sometimes the inside of the trim has this plastic "gasket" type material in it that prevents the trim from clicking into the clip.......just another thought.
    Also, the rear window does need to sit "somewhat" square to the car - if your popping on one corner as you try to install another piece, my suggestion is to have a helper.

9. MoarThrottle

The trim lays in place like a dream. It looks great. Its the pushing into place that's the problem lol! Even with a helper it won't stay in place. There is that gasket materiel on the top piece and bottom piece but its my understanding that is supposed to be there to prevent water intrusion.
    I think if i were to truly fix the issue i would need to remove, recenter and reinstall the glass. I just don't have the bandwidth to do that. I called 4 or 5 local body shops and glass places, no one would take it because its "labor work". So frustrating to hear that.
    I don't want to but i'm so frustrated with this i'm thinking Gorilla glue ought to hold it in place! After all there really should be no reason to have to visit the trim again. Right now i'm just leaving it off so i don't do anything rash.