Removing coil spring

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by MP81, Mar 11, 2018.

1. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

sounds like a poo show waiting to happen to me!

2. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Yes. Which is exactly what made me nervous in the first place! I put the ball joint nut back on when I called it quits, so the spring can't pop out or anything. I think I am going to wail on it with a hammer - maybe it somehow shifted itself to a point where it can't come out...though I'm not entirely sure how that is even possible.

Like I said - magic.

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Take the compressor apart and put it in piece by piece.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Been there, done it multiple times. Compressors suck.

Blown Camaro likes this.
  5. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

They were sketchy as hell on the passenger side. That spring was all sorts of bent, but the control arm did drop down - since I was compressing to the control arm, it'd drop further and further as I loosened the compressors more and more (in stages, with the jack underneath). Eventually it was close enough where the compressor was entirely loose, and I could move the spring ever so slightly - my cue that compression was no longer a factor, and I could shove the control arm down without fear of murder by spring. But that compressor slipped/moved a few times, and made some terrifying noises/sparks/smoke.

The driver side doesn't seem to want to act the same way. I'd much prefer not to use them, and go the "unsafe" way of just letting the spring compression push the LCA down as I lower the jack. Even if there is the risk of the spring popping out, it's still more predictable than a spring compressor shifting/popping off or worse, breaking.

Well, it was supposed to be more predictable, until the control arm stopped moving. Maybe I do just need to loosen the bolts a bit more? The bushings are bad, but I didn't think they were that bad.

6. Berlinetta/28

Berlinetta/28 New Member

Im having troubles with my driver side front spring right now. I removed both upper and lower control arms and replaced the bushings and ball joints and now im trying to get spring to compress so I can install the knuckle to the control arms. Im still using the factory spring. I have two different compressors on the spring and it still doesn't seam to be enough. Im kinda wishing now that I didn't open up this can of worms.

7. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Try wrapping a chain(loop bolted to itself) or two ratchet straps from the jack up and over the subframe and back down to jack. Just make sure the spring is secured to something to prevent accidental launch.

8. Robert J Licher

Robert J Licher New Member

I would just whip out the torch and cut the SOB when you get it hot enough it will relax the spring. you can even put the head of the torch inside the spring so the the sparks spray out ward and don't do any damage! Bob 71RS make two cuts and the spring will just fall out!

9. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

I ended up figuring out that, despite being loose from the ball joint, somehow the spindle was holding the control arm up from dropping. I deadlifted the spindle up off the ball joint, and, with safety chain keeping the spring in check, the lower control arm dropped right to the floor (on the jack) as I was expecting.

I swore it couldn't possibly be the spindle...and it totally was, haha.

10. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

I have probably put at least a hundred springs on these cars and never used a compressor. They simply can't go anywhere even if it just popped out. I have done super tall trick springs,super stiff WS-6 springs,have put the same springs in and out multiple times to cut them for the desired height . Only one tool is needed and that is a good big pry bar that is at least 3 foot long. I don't even use a fork to pop the ball joints or tie rod ends,just a hammer without even touching the ball joint or tire rod. Ask if you want to know more about that. You need to drop the lower arm as far down as it will go and put a pry bar between the coils and pry the spring to bend it so that it pops out of the bottom cup and then pry down between the frame and one of the coils to get the spring pout of the top. I have never seen a spring stuck in place on either end so I have never had to deal with your problem but I couldn't imagine even the most crud and rust in the world holding a spring up with any serious strength.