Removing dash tips

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Rugratman, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Rugratman

Rugratman New Member

My speedo is screaming. I have a new cable. Will try that first. My fat hands are too big to get behind the speedo. I tried pulling the dash face out. But it seems stuck. I am a bit nervous to pull any harder.
    All the face screws are out. What is the next step?

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Usually its the wiper connectors that keeps the bezel from coming out easily. Its best to loosen the steering column and let is rest lower to pull the cluster bezel to the right slightly to clear the connectors.

The speedo cable is actually easy to unhook. Are you looking from under the dash? You can get a long flat blade screw driver up there to depress the clip

3. 70L34

70L34 Veteran Member

You say that you have the face screws out, but did you remove the two that come in from the back, on each side near the steering column? You should have enough slack to remove the connections for the wiper switch, headlights, and lighter. Also, remove the lower panel around the steering column first. Your speedo cable might just need lubrication at the speedo end. Dqle

4. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mine was squealing and I just cleaned the cable and the housing. You can remove the cable from underneath but will still need to spray brake clean down the housing to clean out any debris. I lowered my column and the made it much easier to remove the bezel.

5. Rugratman

Rugratman New Member

Thanks guys. Didnt see the 2 behind.
    I got a new cable and have been spray lubricating it for a week.

6. Rugratman

Rugratman New Member

OK, I am back to this project.
    The dash face is loose and laying free, Column is dropped.
    Gauge cluster is loose, can tilt a bit forward. Not enough to get to the back.

How does the clip holding the cable in the back of the speedo come off. Its hard to see. I see the tab, but it wont pull off.
    All this very old plastic is scaring me.

PS, I see the clips sold in the parts books. Do I need a new one? Re-usable?

7. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I just did this a few months ago but can't remember (probably because I'm at work and supposed to be working, LOL). I think I had to pull the speedo out through the front of the cluster.
    Before you try it, let someone else jump in here and confirm.

8. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I just cleaned my old one and reused it.

9. 70L34

70L34 Veteran Member

You have to depress the tab on the clip fully, and pull the cable out at the same time. Then, remove the wiring connector from the cluster, and remove the cluster from the car. Remove the speedo from the cluster & check it for function. You will notice that the clip for the cable is sandwiched between the speedo & the cluster. Now is a good time to also check all the bulbs. - Dale

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  10. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

Removing the Speedo cable and routing a new one through the firewall is lesson in patience and determination...changed mine out from driver side Sag mount (shorter 2-piece) to new passenger side Muncie.
    Easier with front seat out; Steering column dropped a must.