?? Repair ac vents

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Chuck71RS, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The two outer vents need repair. The adjustable slats do not hold in position or move up and down as they should

The two horizontal vents in the padded dash have a plastic piece that goes over the top of the slat shaft on both ends
    100_7704.JPG

Junk outer vent, no plastic piece
    100_7705.JPG
    Can something be done to hold the shaft ends in place so they operate properly?

2. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

I had the same problem with the vent on the far left side of the dash. I solved it by a placing a couple of small pieces of sticky back black foam from a piece of door and window weather strip and stuck them to the wall of the vent. By small I mean about 1/2" long by about 3/16" wide and about 1/16" thick +/-. The foam is like a shim and provides enough friction to keep the vanes from flopping around. Additionally they are almost undetectable.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Chuck71RS likes this.
  3. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Interesting Bob. Will give it a go

4. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Well nothing states the years involved. What I found was the left/right vents on my 71 were floppy due to crappy little plastic springy bits that broke long ago. my thought is/was ~1/8" ABS guides for the vents. Ok, you can buy new ones for ~200 bit ~5 sounds better if you're cheap.

5. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

I have the same problem with my 73, both right and left are very loose, installed Vintage Air and the force of the fan blows them shut..
    Mine are also a bit fade on the chrome area, has anyone used one of those paint pens they sell on eBay for these? Most people seem to use it to redo the lettering on the glove box door and or the lines on the lower
    dash..

6. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

I've used them to touch up where needed including the 'Camaro' lettering on the glove box door. I tried 3 different brands. 'Molotow' seemed to be the best. Most hobby and craft stores sell chrome or silver pens but not necessarily the Molotow brand.
    It helps to have a steady hand when working with the pen.