Replacement Door Glass

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by mrfleet12, Oct 12, 2019.

1. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

I'm in need of replacing the door glass in my 73, the scratches from the guides, DA marks etc are too bad to polish out.
    I've searched this site and Google as well but can't seem to find any solid reviews of replacement door glass for second gens..
    There are posts here that talk about sketchy fitment, glass being a little wavy etc. so I'm a little concerned about shelling out $$ for aftermarket but also haven't been able to locate any good used glass.
    AMD is a name that keeps popping up, does anyone have first hand experience with their door glass? Also considering adding a slight tint to the glass since I have AC, any issues with that rubbing on the guides or anything, never had a car with aftermarket tint..

Thanks
    Fleet

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a bunch of information on the vendors from when I looked into this back in 2012. IIRC, most of the glass being sold is actually produced by 1 or 2 companies (maybe it was 3?), then white labeled. Im in the middle of trying to wrap up a bunch of things on my car today because its finally nice outside, but I will post back later.

I definitely have some info that can probably help you out though. I was super worried about this too, but have had no issues with my glass. (Getting it aligned properly is another matter altogether - Gotta love the GM Engineer who designed our window roller alignment guides)

Btw, you may want to check your window hardware too. Now may be a good time to replace the rollers because those can wear out.

3. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Most of my hardware will need to be replaced which I assume is the reason the glass is so bad on the driver's window. The passenger side the goof hit with a DA so much it's almost funny.
    Appreciate any help you can provide, the AMD glass seems pretty reasonable.

4. shanghai Kid

shanghai Kid Veteran Member

Pilkington Classics - The right choice in auto replacement glass
    [​IMG]
    Classic Fit. Classic Style. Classic Quality.

To keep your classic car, truck or exotic automobile looking its best, turn to Pilkington Classics. We can supply you with the OEM quality auto replacement glass you need. Plus, you can order it complete with the original LOF sandblasted logo and date coding.

To discuss how we can fit your auto glass needs, please call us toll-free at 1-800-848-1351.

Pilkington--I have a piece of pilkington glass in passenger side--found a local so called "expert" for install-----he scratched the new glass and I didn't notice it until a week later. I don't like the fitment but I don't know if it's the actual glass or sloppy install. Beware of so called experts. They have an etching that they put on it the glass (LOF and date code if you want)-----I need to spend some more time to evaluate this but I got really po'd over the whole thing and said F' it.........The glass may be good but I just haven't gotten it right yet

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  5. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Thanks, I'll take a look at what they have.. I do my own work so not too worried about the install part..
    Is the glass itself good, meaning not wavy, distorted or anything?

6. shanghai Kid

From what I can tell the glass is true with no waviness or distortion--BTW if you find something superior please msg me back--I may well order another one--Thanx

7. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

I got lucking and found some NOS PPG in the wrecking yard inside a Trans Am. Probably sat in the back seat for 25 years or more. IMG_3385.JPG IMG_3383.JPG IMG_3382.JPG IMG_3381.JPG IMG_3380.JPG

8. shanghai Kid

9. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Both left and right tinted.

shanghai Kid likes this.
  10. shanghai Kid

Holy smokes whatta find