Replacing Headlight Question

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Mark Wright, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Mark Wright

Mark Wright 1979 Camaro Berlinetta

Hey everyone! I have a 1979 Camaro Berlinetta and the previous owner did some kind of rigged-up concoction to keep the headlight in and now I'm trying to fix this idiots mess.
    There's only one positioning/leveling bolt in tact and there's some kinda crud around it.
    I bought new bolts for the leveling of the headlight, but not sure how these get replaced.
    I watched the only video on YouTube I could find that showed how to replace the headlight assembly, but mine looks nothing like what that dude was showing. Can anyone help me with this? I'm attaching photos showing mine.

Attached Files:

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like you have a replacement adjuster already... The black plastic part clips into the top hole of the radiator support.

The headlight bucket has notched tabs which fit into the slots on the adjustment screw.

The third hole (red arrow in your pic) is where a retaining spring gets hooked.
    The spring holds tension on the headlight bucket so the adjusters can do their job without the bucket being sloppy loose in the adjustment screws.

The pic is of the left headlight bucket. Looks like you're working on the right side.

upload_2019-8-7_9-56-33.png

Make sense?

Mark Wright likes this.
  3. Mark Wright

Mark Wright 1979 Camaro Berlinetta

I understand all of that, but as you can see in my photos, the area behind where the bucket you pictured above looks like a mess and I'm trying to understand how to get everything to attach to it. Seems like part of it is a hard cardboard material or something.

4. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

In photo 3 it looks like the metal has rotted away and if it looks like cardboard, maybe someone did some "creative" repairs at some point. The picture is just small to really see any good detail.
    The headlight buckets mount to spots on the radiator support and it may be more cost effective replacing the whole radiator support instead of trying to repair the metal if it is rotted out and too far gone.
    Maybe too what looks like cardboard is fiberglass matting or cloth ?
    Jim