Replacing quarter panels

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Goat, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How hard is it? I know this is a very broad/loaded question, but is this something a novice can do? Once everything is down to bare metal, will it be apparent where edges should meet and such? This adventure would be using NOS sheet metal. Probably a better fit - but also don't want to $uck up an expensive panel. The intent would be to spot weld it in place and let a pro finish it...

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Yes, that is a broad/loaded question. lol. Do you think you may need related parts? Drop offs? outer wheel houses? How's the rear body panel? Even if you are a good (structural) welder, sheet metal is a different animal. Is this on a 2nd gen?

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

not something to rush into if not had experience with that type of replacement. theoretically any body could do it .there is alot to take into consideration before, during and after the task will be completed. xten is right about taking slow ,figure out as much as can before getting out the cutters.could you post pics of inside and out of 1/4 ,curious as to how "bad" it is

4. Goat

Thanks for the replies. This is still a ways off if at all. just trying put together a plan...

hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Good idea. You will need a plan of attack. Is this a 2nd gen? Your concern is understandable with NOS stuff. Hard to come by and expensive. Look at the attachment points, see what kind of shape they're in. Take some pics and maybe post a few.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. Goat

Yes, late 2nd gen...

7. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Not bad to get done. watch some videos, your welding skills? have a flange tool? body work skills?
    hold up new panel to body and outline it.
    cut about 1-2" below that so you have some wiggle room. this will just get the bulk of both out of the way for better look at project.
    I leaded the roof to top of panel to quatrer, look into that as well.
    Flange tool makes nice little ledge and panel will fit like glove together.

hardest part is the taillight panel. it and quarter are press welded together and can be a pain to redo. (I cheated and smoothed all seams)

Yes the drop off panel may need replacing and inner wheel tub(or add a mini tub at that time)

You will never know untill you TRY IT. ;)

hubedobeedo likes this.
  8. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

You can do it but be prepared to repair / replace the drop offs, outer wheelhouses, cross rail with extensions, tail panel, inner trunk hinge panel (you can reuse the hinges), and outer rockers depending on rust, rot, or damage that isn't seen until you strip off paint, remove spot welds, and separate panels. What made me the most frustrated was how multiple panels where welded together with one common spot weld, which I didn't discover until I did a bit of damage. So far I have finished the RH side minus lead soldering the roof to quarter seam, and body work. I decided to wait until I'm done with all the welding on both sides before I do that. You will figure out how to do the opposite side much better due to learning from mistakes.

9. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

Above all don't get to anxious and cut your quarters off before you get your replacements. I've had 2 people bring me their cars to fix (1-73 camaro and 1-71 cuda) because they cut more metal off than their quarters came with.

10. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

I bought AMD qtrs and so far the LH side was a perfect fit. All the body lines matched up very nice. Oh yea, make sure the doors are aligned before you remove the qtr. I left the door on to use as a guide. Also I mocked all panels with clamps and did all the tweaking before I welded