replacing rear frame rails

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by rosco72z, Jul 24, 2018.

1. rosco72z

rosco72z Veteran Member

Hi everyone
    I noticed the frame rails on my 72Z as they start to go up over the rear diff. are soft, from the front spring perch to the diff. where the rails start to go up over the diff. has been repaired, a strip of steel the width of the rail has been welded along the bottom of that rail from perch to end of rail before it starts to go up over the diff. and the same area has a strip of steel along each side of the rail that has been welded, so the original rail from the perch back looks as though it is boxed with 3 pieces of steel and is super solid, I have owned the car for almost 30 yrs and knew that the frame had been welded when I bought it and I have driven the car hard with no problems, I took a small hammer and tapped the welded part and was solid but where the frame starts to go up towards the trunk I tapped the un-welded original frame and was able to put some small dents in it, that section is 8" long the the rest of the frame is solid, should I weld-in the soft area with new steel or replace the complete rail, should I look for a jobber rail or find another camaro with rust free rails and cut and fit into my car.
    any suggestions or thoughts would help.
    Thanks Russ

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

My advice is do the complete rail, both sides. Big job but if its thin in two spots, its close in many others to going through. You could go so far as to get one of those inspection cameras that can look in walls with your phone and poke it in and look around to see how much rust is in there. The other thing is to scrape all the paint off to bare metal in several spots, tap around with a hammer to free up the rust and then put a high intensity light inside and in a dark garage you will see spots shining out. I'll bet you see some.

Once you start chasing the rust around with patches you probably won't stop. A 72Z is worth it if the rest of the car is in good shape.

bodymanbill likes this.
  3. rosco72z

rosco72z Veteran Member

2015-09-07 15.39.32.jpg Thanks 70lt1 great information, winter is a perfect time for a replacement

any suggestions on who to get a set of rails from I've seen lots on ebay from different shops I was looking at NPD but maybe some one could point me in the right direction for good quality rails.

4. rosco72z

rosco72z Veteran Member

seems like Classic Industries has what I need

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

You could also look at Golden Leaf Automotive (GLA) Dynacorn.