Rescued 73 Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by A73, May 21, 2010.

1. A73

A73 Veteran Member

I had this shipped to me and got it yesterday. Arrived in enclosed trailer, on upper level, all the way to front, had 4 flat tires & no battery! I was so pissed I almost sent it back.
    So, I call my friend w/ an airtank and got it rolling, had brought a spare battery, but wasn't greatest and had to jump it w/ my diesel. Finally got it going at 11:30pm, had to drive a mile w/o headlights and not knowing how much gas the guy put in it. Longest mile I ever drove!
    Got it in the garage and went to bed. Couldn't sleep and had to be at work early. After work today, I took inventory and combed over the entire car to see what it needed. Do I start at suspension? Or do I get it painted first?
    If I do one or the other I will not have much left to do both, so what do you guys/gals think? I was thinking of going Hotchkis TVA susp kit or just concentrate on body and making it like I want (RS, Z28 clone).
    The Red is going bye-bye and was thinking of Fathom Green w/ Black stripes?
    Keep Vinyl top? (supposedly new).
    Comments?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. RD400HP

RD400HP Member

Looks real nice A73, what state did your Camaro come from looks solid? My 73 had a vinyl top from the factory but its long gone so I wont be putting one on it, personaly I don't like vinyl tops. As far as your car goes if the viynl top is in good shape I would probably keep it. Nice interior I'm surprised there isn't red overspray on it, looks like they didn't care to much about it when they painted it. I wish my 73 was that close to being a driver nice ride.

Mark

3. 78~CAMARO~KID

78~CAMARO~KID Veteran Member

Thats a nice car. If I were you I would do the suspension first then all the body and paint work. If you keep the vinyl top, it will make your car just a bit different from the average 2nd gen. I like your color choice, I've got a green camaro myself and I love the color.

4. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Another vote for keeping the vinyl top. I like them on early models. kind of unique. Post up some more pics.

5. A73

A73 Veteran Member

Thanks guys. I planned on keeping the vinyl top, but something about the bottom trim doesn't look right. It has a small piece in middle as a connector to the longer edge pieces. I think it should only meet in the middle for both longer pieces :confused:.
    The car came from OH and has some dirt underneath, but the pans look solid.

Mark, there is overspray on the door panels, eng compartment and trunk. Needless to say, I've started getting some of that off of the metal.

Kid, I'd like to see some pics of yours...what color green?

This car was orig White w/ red vinyl top and just a sport coupe.
    Haven't ran the numbers on eng, trans & rear yet, but it's supposedly 355/350, double hump heads (doubt it from pulling the valve cover), A/C, P/W, P/S, P/B. Of course now I don't trust anything this guy I bought the car from told me about the car.

6. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Mechanicals first. Then make it pretty. Nothing worse than a pretty car sitting on the side of the road.

7. global warmer

global warmer Veteran Member

what he said

8. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

my 73 R/S Z28 with a white vinyl roof (paint code # 74 , dark red metalic) [​IMG]

9. LtRsZ

LtRsZ Veteran Member

Not bad. If thats a factory pwr. window car it's rare. I think only 216 of the73's had it.

10. A73

A73 Veteran Member

Interesting P/W option #. It looks factory, however, does anybody know if they made a separate door panel for P/W option? Mine has a plug (looks like a speaker tweeter) where the manual crank handle would go. I looked in the vendor catalogs and didn't see a listing for door panels w/o manual cranks.

I spent the day underneath the car scraping and wire brushing the floor pans and went very fast and everything is solid underneath! :D
    I'm deciding if I want to spray the underneath black or I've seen the floor pans sprayed a red primer color on another resto car I saw. Has anyone else seen this color underneath?