respirator for sandblasting?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by -=79z28=-, Mar 31, 2009.

1. -=79z28=-

-=79z28=- Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i have been using a cheapie paper dust mask to sandblast my subframe outside. well im feeling the effects of breathing in all that silica dust. i looked it up and its scarin me now. hindsights 20/20, i should have used a respirator BUT everywhere i go, all the masks say NOT to use for abrasive blasting and isocyanate (POR-15?) coatings.

what do you guys use?

2. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

NO respirator is safe for silica except for a supplied air system. Using a nuisance paper mask is NOT SMART!

N/P95 or 100 plus organic cartridges are okay for isocyanates only when you know the concentration level and can calculate the amount of time it will take to saturate the cartridges (controlled environments). This doesn't really apply to a hobbyist spraying iso paints in an unknown concentrated environment

but back to your blasting

you really should not be using silica sand to blast, but some other media that does not contain silica (black diamond, etc)

Will an N/P95 or 100 respirator provide better protection against your silica storm than a paper mask? Yes. Approved protection? Nope

3. -=79z28=-

-=79z28=- Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

good to know that i can use one of those.

im using sand because its $3 a 60 lb bag at home depot.

maybe using a fan to dissipate the dust from the area is a good idea.

4. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^^No that will not help! I and several others here have done much reading and research on this subject. Use the search feature and you can get some more info on this.

Either buy a supplied air system or if you have a family some life insurance. Also make sure to check other media for hazardous effects. Like black beauty I think is coal dust which is what kills coal miners. It will kill you quicker than silica! $300-$600 for a Hobby Air supplied respirator is cheep compared to medical care and poor heath. If you are going to be serious hobbyist then you have to spend some $$$'s on protective/safety equipment. Otherwise whats the point of having a completed project that you can't enjoy because of your health.

Do yourself a favor and do a search on ebay for "supplied air" and get a system and enough hose to draw clean air from an area away from your work.

If you cannot afford one I would look at farming out the stuff you need blasted to a local shop. or else see if you can rent a soda blaster or buy one from HF, but the media is like $30/50 lb. bag. and it will not remove rust.

5. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

But then you just send it somewhere else...including to your neighbor. Of course you may live in a rural area (or like me, semi-rural). Still it's nasty stuff so you need to think about where it all ends up.

6. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

one other note is that it is possible that some of the things you are blasting may contain dangerous particles. Like lead paint...other nasty stuff? Please be careful.

Also silica gets very fine when used and can stay in the air on a still day for quite a while.

7. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am 100% behind what ChevReb said about the air supply system. I have done some stupid stuff like sand my entire car body to bare metal using only the paper mask and sandblasting wearing the same. I am hoping that my limited exposure was not something that will kill me, but will never do it again.

About the only thing I will spray with a canister mask is Zero Rust, and I am even wondering if that is safe. Before I do more body work, an air supply system will be in my life! When I think of the cost of even ONE trip to the ER, it would pay for a very nice system....not to mention the peace of mind knowing I am not breathing in God-knows-what.

Although I was one of the dummies that did the wrong thing, I urge you to please consider getting an adequate air supply system before it's too late.

8. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

I've seen plans to make a supplied air system before, and I think it'd be a good idea for outside blasting.

A quicky search shows that plenty of people are just using whatever they have that moves air well, and rigging some air lines to a supplied air hood or suit.

just make sure if you try something like this, the supply device is where you're SURE it can't pull in bad stuff.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009