Reuse Original upper and lower balljoints

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by 70-SS/RS-L78, Nov 19, 2019.

1. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was wondering what people do when restoring a car and the ball joints are like new. The born with upper and lower ball joints in my car are in fantastic shape, They are real tight with absolutely no play in them at all. The car was undercoated by a seriously generous new car prep guy so they even look great. He undercoated everything, and I do mean everything. he slammed at least an inch or two of that crap on the upper and lower control arms, inside and out. Now I know why the front and rear springs were lazy. The car was 50 pounds heavier due to all of the tar like substance all over the bottom of this car. I will replace the bushings even though I don't see any cracks in the rubber. Now the search begins for a set of OEM bushings.
    Mark

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Its just better to replace it all when restoring a car. Because it could be in the back of your mind that even it appears to be in good shape .The mileage could get you. especially if you upgrade the power train and suspension on the car.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mark,

If the ball joints are tight, then there really is no reason to replace. The bushings are a different story as the rubber does age due to exposure, so good to replace the bushings.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mark, I'm and in the middle of making the same decision. My L78 upper and lower ball joints are in very nice condition. I am going to recondition clean my original up. More than likely re use them. Bushings are all going to be replaced.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

ron I am going to leave them alone, first I would have to find a set, I'm sure I would have to pay a small fortune for them when that money could be spent on other things. besides this car will lead a pampered life anyway. Thanks...
    Mark

6. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mark, I would definitely leave your upper BJ alone. Especially since they are tight and boots are still good. Even the lowers to if they're not to rusty. Just clean them the best you can and put something on them to protect from rust.

I would like to see some pictures of the original rivets (both sides) to compare to the ones I have been replacing for others here.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  7. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The problem I’ve found, Steve, is that current replacement bushings are made of crappy rubber that deteriates quickly. It seems to be across brands and parts (bushings, vacuum caps/plugs, etc). While I’m with you on replacing old bushings I’d be reluctant to count on them being the last set the car will ever need - even with pampered usage.

8. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Agreed Joe, When I did my bushings, I sourced old-er Moog units with boxes dated in the early 80s. The rubber looks and feels good, so hopefully they'll last a little while. I'm also counting on our climate not being nearly as harsh on rubber and polymers as yours to help them live longer ;)