Rev Kit Please Answer Question!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by lluciano77, Jun 25, 2006.

1. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't have a social life anyway, married with 3 kids... LOL

I haven't checked into the engineering degree yet but I know I would have to take some more math classes, I figured if I already have a Business Degree, I would only need to take the actual course needed for the Eng degree, ie specific engineering classes with no electives or other extraneous subjects.

I don't think I could do all the engineering courses without actually going to class. My schedule right (and gas prices) now makes the online school better. Good thing my employer pays for it because it is expensive...

2. lluciano77

lluciano77 Guest

Here is an update to an old post. Jakeshoe, I am sure you will be interested to hear about this.

I recently got a bunch of CarCraft magazines ffrom the 90s for free. In one of them was the intro for the "new" Hydra Rev Kit from AFR. It has the test with the 117 hp gain with the rev kit. Well, it turns out the gains were because of inadequate valvesprings. Here is why.

The cam used was this one:
    http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=08-430-8
    Notice how the recommended springs are the 982-16.
    Here are those specs
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CCA-982-16&view=32&N=700+0
    85 lbs. on the seat and 230 lbs. open doesn't sound like enough spring to control a roller cam like that. It is no wonder that the Hydra Rev Kit made that much more power. Just like Jakeshoe had said, using the right springs would produce the same results.

3. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe its because I'm just a lowly factory worker with little more than high school, and still do simple math on my fingers, that I come up with a valve closing 3500 times a minute at 7000rpm. :)

4. lluciano77

lluciano77 Guest

Woah, hey now, I wasn't trying to open old wounds. I was just trying to point out AFRs misleading claims.

5. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You're correct.
    I was dividing by 4, thinking 4 stroke cycle, and that it only opens a valve every 4th revolution, but we know it's every other revolution.

6. Tokyo Torquer3

Tokyo Torquer3 Veteran Member

I found out the hard way.. bought and installed the Hydra rev kit and had severe valve float with my little hydraulic roller cam. Rev kit did nothing for me. Increased the seat pressure from 125 (recommended by Comp and AFR) to 145lbs (after doing much research on my own about hydraulic rollers and valve float) and now the valve float issue is completely solved. For most people, I say dont waste your money on a rev kit unless you have a big ass solid roller with agressive ramps. It won't help most street hydraulic rollers, I beleive, contrary to the advertising. The rev kit really makes it a PIA to install and remove your heads, too.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  7. lluciano77

lluciano77 Guest

Where was it floating the valves? What RPM?

8. Tokyo Torquer3

6100-6300 rpm, getting worse to 5900 at the end. Valves bouncing on their seats. Lifter would pump down, leaving the valves hanging open, with some popping through thru exhuast until the lifter pumped back up again.

9. lluciano77

lluciano77 Guest

What kind of lifters were they? OEM? the Comp style? Or the Lunati style?

10. Tokyo Torquer3

Comp Cams roller lifters with 1/4 turn of preload