right fender fiasco

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by brett 73, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:16 PM.

Tags:
  1. brett 73

brett 73 New Member

Saturday
    any one else have trouble getting right side aftermarket fenders to fit on 2nd gens?

2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Where's your problem?
    Its on,and the gap looks crappy?
    Or it wont go on?

3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
  4. brett 73

brett 73 New Member

Saturday
    its in the gap and the shape along the door its like the inner structure is the wrong curvature . I bought the (restorers choice) from classic because my local supplier said the ones he sales don't fit right side very good .left side fits great

5. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Im dealing with the same issue. The inner brace hits on the body and will not let the fender go in far enough. I plan on cutting the inner brace out and rewelding it in closer to the fender skin.

6. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    I had the exact opposite issue. My RH Goodmark repop fit fine /w good gaps. My LH Goodmark & AMD fenders were crap. The AMD fender was their latest & greatest. Also found that my Goodmark repop rad support was crap.
    I ended up buying an entire 71 RS front clip including the rad support. It fits like factory and all the panel gaps are very good.

brett 73 likes this.
  7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ^^ The new and improved AMD fenders don't fit right? Keep in mind...it could be your car too. Previous accident, factory blem etc. etc..

8. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    NO, the AMD fender didn't fit either. I also had a Goodmark LH fender which didn't fit, and the AMD fit, or didn't fit, in the same manner as the Goodmark fender.
    When I brought the OE front clip home, I bolted it on the car in about 1.5 hrs and everything lined up.

Yellow69RSZ and krabben1 like this.
  9. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Problems I had with the golden legion repop when fitting(did not use in the end though,sought oem)were cutting away at the bottom of fender,to allow to move in more.
    Cutting the extra metal where the door point goes in when opening the door.
    Bending the top corner or the fender to match the contour of the hood.
    Fender actually fit great after that,except for the bowing in the middle of the fender(both)that allowed you to veiw the engine with the hood shut,lol.
    Also,one of the fenders was made longer(or shorter,I forget)
    And general "o"ing out all holes to line up.
    Never got to the welded on parts(headlamp locations)

10. brett 73

brett 73 New Member

Saturday
    ya I sent classicindustries a couple photos ,theyre going to check their other fenders to see if theyre all that way . im probably going to get a stock one and work on that. itll probably be faster.