Rocker Selection

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Kskevin, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Kskevin

Kskevin Member

I am rebuilding a 350 and have decided to bite the bullet and go with a roller cam. I have always used flat tappet cams and was wondering what type of rockers you guys use with your hyd roller cams.

2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I have only done one roller cam in my personal vehicle and used some stainless 1.5 ratio with 7/16 studs.
    Crane Gold race rockers in other builds and no issues.
    I always run 7/16 studs if I am going to up the game and spend money on rockers anyway.
    What is a few more bucks to pull the small 3/8 studs and stick in some bigger ones.

Watch the nuts on top as they will more than likely need a taller valve cover to clear them.
    You can sometimes double or triple up on the gasket and fix the clearance issue.Gaskets get to costing so do the math and see if taller covers are cheaper.

Timing cover needs to be beefed up or get one designed for a roller cam if you are running the cam button on the front of the camshaft.
    Another issue is the cam gear that drives the distributor ..you can get one compatible with the stock gm distributor gear.. if it is not then an upgraded distributor gear will need to be used.

And another option if you run a roller block you can use the stepped nose cam and retainer plate.
    BUT WAIT !!

You can run a stepped nose cam in an EARLY block with the correct parts and a little modification.
    Research it.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm using 1.52 Comp Magnum Roller Tip Rockers, part # 1412-16

4. Kskevin

Kskevin Member

5. Kskevin

Kskevin Member

Thanks for the info. I will be putting in new distributor and getting a timing chain cover for the roller cam

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

These were the same rockers I used when I was running a solid lifter cam. I also used the original LT1 timing chain cover and distributor but changed the dist gear. Also remember you will be using shorter push rods.

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I use Manley 1.5 roller rockers .And studs along with a Wolverine hydraulic roller cam.With Crane stud girdles ..I hard to go toward the hardcore because its supercharged .And capable to turn to 6200 rpm,

Attached Files:

8. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I use Harland Sharp rockers. I do have a set of Crower stainless but they are heavy and for a street car you don't need them. Something I learned from a builder and he said on the street with a mild roller use the stock type rockers, I asked why. He told me that 6K think of the weight of something moving that fast, then if you decrease the weight you can pull more RPM. When I ran my LT4 Hot Cam with the stock 1.5 rockers that I made into long slots that old 350 would go 6500 with ease. Makes sense, look at all the LS engine that people run the stock rockers on, they hold up fine in performance applications. Reason I run roller rockers is to save the wear on valve guides.

PBZ28 likes this.
  9. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

Scorpion 1.65 I & 1.5 Ex.

10. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

I like full rollers.

Check out edelbrock for a good cheap front cover with re-enforcement for a cam button. Which you should run.

I have a set of 3/8” Harland sharps plus studs I would sell if you are interested. I had some comp rollers so swapped those on a motor that came in a car I bought. They have maybe 6K miles on them. In perfect shape. Including poly locks. Hit me up if interested.