Rolling Rear Fender Lips a Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by gordonquixote, Aug 12, 2008.

1. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

The "dirt basket" should drain if not crimped on the bottom. I am not a good judge of this though as I live in AZ and we get about 10 in. of rain a year.

Just don't mud bog the Camaro:crazy:

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Please expand on this. Jack the car up? or let it down to create more pressure?

3. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looking into rolling my rear fenders and was curious about the price of the Eastwood tool since it’s been a while now that it’s been on the market. It isn’t now just over $80 on their website, and there are a bunch of knockoffs for $60 or less on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fender+roller&ref=is_s

Originally, I looked up some local guy who uses the tool and charges $90 for two wheelwells, figuring that the tool was still in the triple-digit range. Glad I looked, and hope this helps others who might be interested right now.

4. cisco 1

cisco 1 Member

my 73 camaro is on the rotisserie and i wonder is i shod roll the fender before sand blast and paint unterbody . i will run 275-40-18 on 9,5 rim .

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I got in there and beat them with a ballpeen hammer. Don't have to be to fancy. just work it easy don't get wild. Does not take a whole lot to roll the edge. I had to B/C of getting side walls sliced. Also used air shocks to get the rear up.

6. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I would roll them now. It will not change the exterior of the car and is easier to do safely without worrying about the paint job.

I used a floor jack, cheater slick and a beater bat.

sandiego74 likes this.
  7. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just to update, I bought the $60 tool on Amazon and it worked great. I plan on selling it now on Craigslist.

8. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i used a $ .30 piece of wood!.... ummm Custom fender lip tool!!!
    last one $29.99....lol
    the reason it is called rolling the fender is NOT because you are making a rolled edge but typically the manner in which it is done (quite effectively i might add ;)) is with the car in neutral you shove a ball bat or broom stick between the fender and tire....and gently ROLL the car.....letting the wood "massage" the fender lip and the tire air pressure be the "tension" ....