Rotisserie Mounting ('73 Z28)

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Jerry73Z28, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Member

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't find what I'm looking for in the Search...
    We have finally gotten my 73 Camaro body off the trailer, and are looking to mount it to a rotisserie I bought a few months ago. It came with several attachments for mounting.
    Mounting to the front looks like a no-brainer, the front sub-frame mounts should work great, I think.
    The rear is another story. The rear bumper mounting holes look like the obvious choice, but they don't look all that beefy, and there's curves and contours in the area I don't want to screw up. The rear leaf spring mounts in the back look much better, but we're having a tough time figuring out how to mount securely there.
    Can anyone share the methods they used for mounting this body to a rotisserie? Pics would be awesome!
    Thank you!

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Here's what I did.

Rear leaf spring eyes on one side so the media blaster could get to as much of the frame as possible.

I can put in longer pieces of the 1.5 inch square stock to extend the rotisserie back as much as a I want to get to the tail panel.

I turned up on a lathe some flanged round plugs that fit the ID of the spring eye real nice and then ran a 1/2" bolt through them

I looked at the bumper mounts and they just looked way to wimpy. This is solid.

PM me your email and I can send you the plans for the adapters

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  3. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Member

That looks exactly like what I was looking for!
    PM (conversation) with my email sent.
    Thank you!

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

email to you sent.

5. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Member

Received! Thank you!

6. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

I wouldn't use the bumper mounts - way too wimpy. I used stock leaf eye bushings, but sandwiched between plate steel on both sides of the frame rail. Dave has a point, but you could just clean up that area now, before you put the shell onto the rotisserie. I was able to spray that area just fine with primer and Raptor. My build thread has pics - see pages 9, 10, and 12.

7. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Member

Thank you thesalboy, good pics indeed.
    One other thing...my rotisserie came with door bars. From pictures I've seen so far, and looking at the body itself, we're of a mind they won't be needed. It's this correct?

Thank you for the answers. I'd rather ask the pros instead of screwing up. Dad's got some experience with body work, but I don't think he's ever used a rotisserie either. My original plan was to use it for the Camaro and then sell it...but I think it's going to end up with one of his Willys bodies on it when I'm done.

8. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Provided you're not cutting out any structure, for example to repair rust, my view is that the shell is plenty strong without the need for door bars. Contrast that with full frame cars. At least our unibody is good for something.

To be clear, I'm no pro. This was the first time I'd used a rotisserie, too.

I was able to sell my rotisserie for close to what I paid for it, and quickly - there was a bidding war, in fact.

9. Crazy4camaro

Crazy4camaro Veteran Member

P5160270.JPG This works nicely.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  10. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Slightly different because Firebird but didn't have any issues using bumper mounts.

[​IMG]