Round rod and fenderlip rolling looking for a members posts

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by perkalator, Apr 15, 2017.

1. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

I have searched and have not found the thread/post im looking for. There was a memberr who used round rod instead of rolling the fender lips. Im thinking of going this direction since the previous owner did a slice and dice fender rolling.

2. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

What's to show? Is the car painted already?

3. perkalator

No the cars not painted. I have a idea not to drop below the middle body line. I just wanted to see a picture to make sure my vision is what I thought it was. Others great work promotes the next persons project.

4. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

In that case, I would cut the lip off about 1/4", bend the rod to fit inside the lip, plug weld it in, tap the sheet metal around the rod, then weld the edge of the sheet metal to the rod.
    I can't find any examples anywhere, but I wouldn't be afraid to try it.

5. Jason_S

Jason_S Member

You might be thinking of this
    [​IMG]

It is what we did on my car and has worked out great! I unfortunately have not pictures during the process but it was rather easy to do, we bent the rod while matching it up on the outside of the fender and once you get to a close enough shape then move to the inside. You will find yourself bending and fitting often to get the shape you like. One tip here is to put a tape mark or something one the fender lip and rod so the rod is in the same spot to the fender each time you reshape the rod. Then when you find the shape you are happy with make a mark on the fender lip and cut along the line, it was about 1/4 inch from the edge of the fender lip. Weld the edges of the rod and tap the metal around the rod, clean up the welds to make it smooth and you are done! Rather easy to do, it just takes patience. I can get some more pictures today if you would like.

6. perkalator

Thanks jason. That is exactly what i had envisioned. Know i just need to get it done. Ive already bent the rod for the drivers side.