RS front end value 1971

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Custom 68, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Custom 68

Custom 68 New Member

hello all I am working on my 1971 Camaro project when I purchased this it came with sheet metal for both the RS front end and the standard front end. I have seen several Camaros with the split bumpers in the non RS front end and actually like the look of it as well. I was going to go the true looking RS route but as I have started assembling I am unsure.
    I had the piece blasted and epoxy primer and they’re in good shape except for two small areas. I can post pictures but wasn’t sure that was appropriate. I need to go through everything but believe I have the correct hood release the urethane nose which is pretty beat up and two different inserts. If I decide to sell this set up it would help offset some of the costs but again I am unsure of the value or even the direction.
    I’m not doing the stock build it will have a gen 5 motor with kind of the pro touring look. I do plan on driving it.
    Thanks for listening
    Dave

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  2. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

I would say keep the rs front end. In the long run you’ll be glad you did especially if it’s a gm part because the repro are a pain

70-camaro likes this.
  3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Dave, it comes down to your preference...I honestly hate the RS look...Looks horrible to me. I prefer the full bumper front end. There is a demand for the original RS sheet metal. It will come down to the condition of it of course in terms of value. But people will pay a premium for excellent quality RS sheet metal. You can't go too crazy though. I have seen "ok" "needs work" RS header and Valance panels listed for $400-$500 and they never sell. I would say very good, little to no work panels can easily sell for $750+, maybe more for a motivated buyer. If you don't plan to use it and are firm on that, I see no reason to hold on to it. Sell them to help fund your project.

4. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Just me perhaps, but I think that "fake RS" front look on the 70-73s is kind of cheesy looking. If you're using the split bumpers I think the "correct" RS look is 100 times better looking. Just my two cents of course, it's your car.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

I personally don't like the "enduro" bumper/nose. Looks like a bird beak and sticks out too far from side view. I do like the parking lights. That's why I have been looking for a junk RS header, to cut off the parking lights and weld them in to a non RS header.

badazz81z28 likes this.
  6. Custom 68

Custom 68 New Member

Thank you all for your thoughts, everything you all said has gone thru my mind as well that is why I looked here for thoughts.
    My initial plan was to go to the correct RS front end since I have most of the parts. I would need to replace the urethane bumper so that got me thinking as well. At the car shows when I see the non RS with the split bumper I knew it wasn't right but they looked good. I saw an ad in my local craigslist for one listed as a "true" split bumper but obviously was not. I know it comes down to my preference, I wont try to fool anybody (as those that know would already have it figured out) plus like I said I am not going stock anyway.
    I will just mull it all over some more and decide.
    I am just happy to have a second gen again thanks for all the thoughts.
    Dave

7. EVILFACE

EVILFACE Veteran Member

Keep it as wall art to make non-RS owners jelly. :crazy:

8. Custom 68

Custom 68 New Member

haters are gonna hate...
    Ha, I do have a few extra pieces it could make for nice decoration.
    again thanks
    Dave

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Absolutely...Yuck!! I have seen some cars with the std front end with the RS headlights custom welded in.

10. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I would say since you're going non-stock, go with the look you like which seems to be the standard front end with the RS bumpers. I like the look of all three variations on a 70-73.
    Finding a really nice factory urethane nose is hard. It took me years to find one. Search for a thread by hoov81 about restoring an RS nose.
    As far as value, hard to say without pics. Also depends on your neck of the woods. My RS front end with all GM parts took me years to collect and probably ran me about $700 for all of it, but I got real lucky on some pieces cost-wise.