Rust scale removal tool?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Mitch'80Z, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Mitch'80Z

Mitch'80Z Veteran Member

I am going to clean up my hauling trailer's frame. For the light rust scaling it has, a 3M rust/paint stripping disk seems to work just fine and gets into the inside angles well. I'll finish up with a rust converter for any pits and then topcoat with a bedliner-type paint.

All I have is a cordless drill to run the disks and the batteries just can't keep up with me. I need to buy something else.

My question is this, should I buy a 3/8" corded power drill or a die-grinder? I have a Craftsman 4hp 15gal compressor to run the grinder. The compressor has 8.9 scfm@40 psi and 6.9 scfm @90 psi. (I thought about a media blaster but don't want the mess).

What's the better tool for this job? Thanks

2. pajeff02

pajeff02 Veteran Member

I run a cone style stiff wire wheel in an angle die grinder and it chews through rust and scale pretty well. Be careful though as the wheel wears out the wires start to fly and are like mini arrows.

Another choice would be an air needle scaler. It has replaceable rods that hammer away the rust and scale. I actually need to buy one of these for my garage.

3. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

I use a pressure washer that has a adapter on the tip that sucks up sand to blast without all the dust. Does a good job.All you need is safety goggles for protection.

4. pajeff02

pajeff02 Veteran Member

^^ Never heard of this. Will have to check it out as that would be a whole lot cleaner than with my pressure pot blaster. Comparable results?

5. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

Need more info...

6. pajeff02

pajeff02 Veteran Member

7. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member