Rustorbust's Turbo Big Block

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by rustorbust, Nov 25, 2012.

1. rustorbust

rustorbust Veteran Member

Success.....So I ran the car last night, Car ran excellent!! Was able to make 4 passes. First pass right off the trailer just rolling it out it went 7.2 @ 105. Ended up adding some fuel to it and playing with the timing a little but last pass it went 6.61 @ 107 (1.56 60 ft) leaving on 2lbs of boost and ramping up to 7lbs about a second into the run. This was all on 91 pump gas, im sure it has a ton more in it even at 7lbs. I had a few friends there that took video of all the runs, ill post the links up later after they send them to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

That is great news man, saw the idle video and am glad its not that loud. Great start with the runs.

3. rustorbust

4. kimosabi

kimosabi Veteran Member

Nice! Not bad at all! That car will only get faster.

5. rustorbust

So instead of starting a new thread I figured I'd update this one. It's been a while and I have made a few changes to the car and am in the process of making a few more. I ended up running the car for close to two years with the original build setup and got it to go as fast as 6.08@118 weighing just shy of 3900lbs with me in it on about 15-16 lbs of boost. Ended up breaking the rearend in November of 2014. I let it sit for 6 months or so while building a new rearend and putting a new Mikes th400 in it. I took it back out at the beginning of this year and after a few passes I had a lifter die on me. So instead of fixing the old stock motor I decided to go ahead and build a real motor suited for a beating and switching over from a single to twin S475s. The new motor is the same cubic inch but all forged internals and will have a set of Edelbrock victor 24s on it. I also had Bullet spec the cam specifically for what I'm doing with it. I should have it back together in the next 2 months or so and I'll post some pictures as I get it closer back together. In the meantime I've been doing some other upgrades and such...got rid of the factory tank and added a cell....built a setup to add a parachute....moved the trans cooler to the rear....Put some real seats in the car and mounted them to the cage (tech guys kept giving me a hard time about the seats i had).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

From the outhouse to the pent house, lookin good man.

7. rustorbust

Been a little while but I thought Id post some progress pics. Motor is back in the car and started fabbing up stuff for the new turbos. Moved the radiator back over and hung the turbos. Started piping the exhaust up through the fenders to the backs of the fenders where it will exit.

I just got the new wastegates in yesterday and should have some time to work on getting them plumbed in this weekend. Ill post some more pictures after I get some more of that finished.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

Where are you getting your T band clamps and pipe for your intercooler?

9. rustorbust

I get all the flanges and clamps from racepartsolutions.com and all the piping comes from mandrelbends.com

10. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member