Saving a Gen II

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by DLY, Oct 9, 2019.

1. DLY

DLY New Member

New to the site, so please be nice.. Owned a 1970 Camaro in high school some 43 years ago. Always wanted another early Gen II car. Found one on CL in a local town January a couple of years ago. Car was just a shell, but had a title. And, when I say a shell, that's what I mean. So, here we go, to "save" another car. Am going to post beginning picture, and will update soon as I've made serious progress. Don't believe most would begin where I am, but I love this generation of the Camaro, and have wanted another early Gen II car for 40+ years, so I figure to attempt to save this one. For the record, it's a 1973 V8 car, came with a 3 speed automatic, open 2.73 rear end. Since most of the car is gone, I don't intend an exact restoration, and I don't plan on any time of racing or timed event, so I plan to just build a driver the way I like the car.

This is the beginning point. I will have frequent updates, before asking for guidance. I've made quite a bit of progress from here already.

Thanks for your interest.

57B663BE-8C26-4DA3-923F-19FD2E130BEA.jpeg

Smokey15 likes this.
  2. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Welcome to Nasty! Great to see another being saved.
    Good luck with your project! :bowtie:

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to the madness. :cool:

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

You have a great car and the perfect plan...build it to what you want and can afford. Any way you go you will have a fun to drive car that YOU built.

5. DLY

DLY New Member

Thanks for the welcome guys!! Since beginning, I did a complete review of the car. The previous owner (PO) had cut holes everywhere.. A pillars, both rockers (on the inside), the firewall, removed and cut up the dash... I asked him why, and he said (and this is a direct quote) "I was looking for rust..." So, I ordered some sheet metal, and began to rebuild. I've since: Fixed the firewall by welding up the holes and smoothing it; welded and repaired the A pillars; installed a complete floor; installed a new dash (from inside to front of airbox/firewall; put in a new trunk floor; new outer wheelhouses; new quarter panels; installed the doors; new trunk lid; new rear filler panel; and should have the last quarter welded in and the new rear light panel installed by the end of the week. I'm trying to decide on color for the car right now. Also, I've sandblasted and painted the subframe with all new polyurethane bushings, new UMI lowering springs, and have the rotors/bearings and the rest of the stuff to install when I bolt the subframe back on the body. I picked up red oxide non-sandable primer from PPG yesterday, and hope to shoot the underside of the car in the next couple of weeks, once the initial bodywork is completed. May take a couple of replies, but will post up some more pictures. Thanks!!

C295B3B8-A6CC-414D-8537-11281BBCEBCB.jpeg

Firewall repair...

87556E3B-623C-491E-99B1-B5658E6D4CA9.jpeg

And new floor...

Smokey15 likes this.
  6. DLY

DLY New Member

And some more pictures of the progress.... 545FE8F9-F383-4CCF-B15F-9E117C63CFE5.jpeg

Smokey15 likes this.
  7. shanghai Kid

shanghai Kid Veteran Member

Yep--Looks like you got the skill--Good luck and carry on-- $$$$$

8. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

79825570-2462-4B9E-BEBE-1141C395BDEC.jpeg Looks great! And my color vote is blue !

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    DLY and bodymanbill like this.
  9. DLY

DLY New Member

Dave: Actually already have a spray-out of blue, doing one of color code 74 (dark red, nearly burgandy) this week to compare. Considered gold to match my '68 C10, but have seen a couple in person and decided against that. My 1970 was blue, so my heart leans that way, but I do love a red Camaro as well....

Am having some trouble posting pictures made with my I Phone, but will try to upload some new pictures of the quarter installation and the color spray out as well...

Thanks for the input!!

dave@ztech likes this.
  10. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. Nice solid start to the car. Good luck with everything.