Scammers got me

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by MotionClone, Apr 19, 2017.

1. indy camaro

indy camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep, about 10 times now !! I'm the only card holder and don't do online banking. I just don't get it !!!

This past Monday I had a $746.00 charge from Virginia at a pool supply store ! I don't have a pool, and I haven't been to VA for 20 years ! My card holder fixed it immediately though, after I called.

Scammers NEVER stop.

2. slayer74

slayer74 Veteran Member

I rarely use my card anymore and always use cash-that's the world we live in,scammers everywhere

3. 7ty-74

7ty-74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No debit. Credit card only. Have been skimmed twice at gas stations. Never responsible for anything. The credit card companies track what you do. So they usually never let a charge go through and just shut the card down immediately and contact me by email and phone

4. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It is supposed to be even easier now with the dang chip. I only use my debit card online for my credit cards. The use credit cards for online purchases. I never put my pin in whenever I use my debit card. They have found people logging it. Always choose credit and enter zip code. The only place I use a pin is at an atm machine. Very rarely I will use it at another banks atm but not often. If it was happening a lot I would check into text messages for purchases if possible. I would also buy lifelock for a few months just because.

5. KJZ28

KJZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't own a debit card because I had to many security professionals tell me not to.

6. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Instead of living in fear, you could keep a little spending money in an exclusive account. If I want to buy something online, I transfer money into it. I never leave enough money in it worth stealing. It comes in real handy when I sell something for large money online - like a car, then I transfer the money out of the account so it can't be claimed back in the event of some sort of con on the other end.

7. indy camaro

indy camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well, make that 14 times !!!
    I just paid off my credit card a few days ago and I think it has something to do with all this. I got a text about an hour ago from my cardholder asking
    "if these last 4 purchases where mine". A total of $3600.00 !!! Of course it's not me, and I had to close the account. You can't make this stuff up !
    So irritating !!

8. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Geesh, what's your card info? you must be doing something wrong.:crazy:

9. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

UPDATE on this:

My bank said to file a police report then come in to file paperwork with them.
    So I first went to the Lowes store in question and met with the "support manager" and "loss prevention manager". They gave me detailed transaction info with date, exact time, register# and even the card chip id# which was mine apparently. This info also included the customer name and it wasnt my name. They also informed me that this happened to other people on the same day and by the same guy and that detectives have an open case on this guy.

So I took that info over to PD and filed a report. The PD wouldnt give me much detailed info but did elude to the Lowes thing being gang activity from the south. Im guessing Mass since thats where our drugs come from here in Maine.

I should get my money back in a few days from my credit union. Sucks I have to wait 7-10 business days for my card to come in the mail though..lol

Would really like to know how exactly they got my card info.

10. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

I got had for $11k in 24 hours on my discover card. I got an email alert late at night...and was like whoa wtf. opened my account to 11k of purchases in a very short amount of time. I called my discover card and was only on the phone with them for like 30 min. They immediately credited all $11k of it, and sent me a new card. I lost a chunk of my credit line while they were investigating, but I did not owe that large amount, Then they sent me a notice a month later they sent me a notice saying they confirmed it was fraud and my account was back to normal.