School me on primer

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by CasperCasper, Oct 1, 2015.

1. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Hi all,

Purchased some PPG Omni epoxy primer that I will be spraying on my car. My thought process was as follows :

Do filler work on bare steel
    Spray epoxy primer
    Spray high build primer
    Spray base coat
    Spray clear coat

I have a few questions however.

Firstly, If I spray different parts of the body with epoxy primer at different times, will anything get hectic ? A guy can only do so much in a week ! I know not to recoat until the paint is entirely cured.

Secondly, do I have to use Omni high build primer or can I buy something else ?

Thirdly, does the brand of base/clear matter as long as they match ? Ie. if I dont use Omni base/clear will things go south ?

Just hoping my train of thought is correct here. I see people doing lots of different things, including spray sealer which I'm not so sure about. Any comments would be great,

Thanks !

2. 4rcFed

4rcFed Member

Are you having the car media blasted, or just stripping one panel at a time???

When I take cars to bare metal, I'll use a metal prep to put a film on the car for a period of time, if the car is indoors.

But I try to get a coat of epoxy on the panels first. That will keep the panels protected. From there, you can scuff it and do your bodywork on top of that.

3. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Epoxy primer over bare metal to seal the car. Scuff with 36 grit to get any bondo to hold to the metal where needed. Do bodywork and sprasy highbuild on bodywork. Once all bodywork is satisfactory, highbuild the whole car, block the car. Highbuild the whole car again, block car again. Spray your base coat, spray your clear As a general rule you can put any clear over an basecoat. I've never had a problem but the suppliers will tell you differently. Hth Steven.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  4. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

bare metal
    epoxy
    filler
    spray filler (optional)
    epoxy
    high build primer surfacer
    base coat
    clear coat

but most importantly read the tech sheets for specific product details because there are always slight variations between products/manufacturers and if you ask the internet you'll get a hundred slightly different answers.

5. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

Hi-build primer is normally sealed before base coat. But as said follow mfg guidelines.

6. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

I'm not a pro at paint nor have I ever worked at a auto body/paint shop but I've done my fair share an more of body work. An you'll fine that a lot of people have different ways that they do paint/body work. I don't like to compleatly strip the old paint off unless it has something growing underneath it. If its nice an smooth I'll take it down to the primer an stop there. Where there's rust under the paint go to bare metal. Then bang out any major dents, do patch panel work then spray epoxy primer, either the whole car or a quarter panel at a time. Then do filler work on top of the epoxy primer. I don't think I'll ever use hi build primer again. Id use nothing but filler an epoxy primer. You really only need hi build primer if you have several areas that are like 2 or 3 sheets of paper ( thickness) low. Meaning its easier to fill in those areas with hi build than filler. It also depends on how annal you are. Believe me there's a lot of hard headed painters out there that only want it done there way, if its different then its all wrong....
    Best advice I can give you is make or buy a long board sander, about 2 ft long. An use Norton yellow colored sand paper that comes in rolls with sticky on the back side. The long board will fine every imperfection.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  7. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

So by changing the amount of reducer in my epoxy i can use it as a sealer i believe. Thanks for all the advice i really value it

8. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Your epoxy primer is a sealer, by reducing it you will only make it flow out easier/better.

9. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

You will get varied opinions. Based on experience and research, i can only tell you what i do, not that i consider it the best way PLUS I have done it about every way with similar, good results.

Media blast or strip, if chemical stripped neutralize if blasted I go over it with 80 Grit
    Epoxy everything 2 wet coats
    Filler then re-epoxy burn throughs
    Lightly block all panels with 220, sometimes with dry guide to FIND other areas which high build alone will not address
    If you have shallow waves as discovered when scuffing epox with a large block use a quality spray polester filler OR skim with Icing or similar product
    Spray high build 2 wet coats dry block with 220 or 320 to get stuff flat
    Repeat the high build and block to 600
    IF you have been successful with final blocking, you should have a perfect coat of high build finished to 600 with no burn throughs and it should be all one color
    I dont like or need sealer at that point and unless you are going to wetsand it, i'm not a big fan. . . .main reasons- its additional mil build AND another coat that is likely to get trash in it which will show in your base!
    Before i shoot base i wash the whole car with Dawn and the hose let it dry and use alcohol based or spray glass cleaner (foamy kind) then, finally solvent based wax and grease. How you run your rag is VERY important
    I tack and remain on high alert for dirt between coats 1 and 2 of base. If you see any problems -NOW is the time to fix them!
    Tack before clear
    Spray clear
    Put the car in the sun
    Study tech sheets to find proper window for finish sanding and buffing which takes 5x as long as spraying!

Good luck and remember this is what I do as a hobhyist painting in a garage!

10. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Earlysecond wrote: "I dont like or need sealer at that point and unless you are going to wetsand it, i'm not a big fan. . . .main reasons- its additional mil build AND another coat that is likely to get trash in it which will show in your base"

I agree, waste of more time and money.