Sea Foam: Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by slayer021175666, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro American by birth, drag racer by choice

I ran a bottle through my truck and what a smoke show! I ran a bottle though my '00 T/A and NOTHING. No smoke at all. Only had 29k on it and the oil changed every 3000 miles maybe that is why?

2. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a hard time believing in a tanks worth of fuel/seafoam, enough crap from the fuel system found its way out of the combustion chambers, into the oil and clogged up the oil passages causing your oil consumption. Even if there was a ton of carbon in the fuel system/combustion chambers, that much getting into the oil and not getting picked up by the oil filter seems very difficult to believe.

Not saying it's totally impossible, but like you said, those Toyota four bangers are very sludge prone. If the dealer had flushed the engine before selling it to you, everything would look clean but a chunk of carbon may have loosened up and caused your engine issues.

3. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

They changed your oil, they didn't flush it. Seafoam couldn't plug return holes if you put it in the fuel tank. The systems don't interact. Those return holes were probably plugged for quite a while. I used to see that on 1970 and earlier engines all the time. I've torn down 50's and 60's engines with the valve train covered in sludge. This is something that happens over time with lack of oil changes allowing the old oil to congeal and build up.

Toyota engines had a problem with sludging for years. I'll bet yours isn't the first one they've had that happen to.

4. Ihada70Z28B4

Ihada70Z28B4 Veteran Member

If you read his post again you'll see that he is referring to the tiny return holes BEHIND the piston rings that let oil the rings scraped off the walls on a Toyota engine. Not the large oil return holes throughout the engine. I had to read it twice to catch it myself.

5. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

You are correct, the piston holes....

There was zero sludge in the engine, I saw it during tear down and I even have a picture. Toyota tore it down to insure that the issue wasn't caused by lack of oil changes. I had receipts and electronics proof of oil changes, Toyota wanted to see all of that.

6. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

I have lived 56 years without seafoam and my vehicles run just fine. I'll continue saving my money.

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

This guy has done all kind of things with oils and everything else that I could think of. The Toyota's from the mid 90's through the early 2000's were the ones I heard about with the heads getting clogged up. Something about the way the oil was routed causes the sludge to form. That is what I heard from a few of the used car dealers I did work with. The one I saw looked like what Quaker state did to my neighbors 65 Olds 330 in his Vista cruiser. This was years ago. People said it was paraffin in the oil. The sludge was thick but you could remove it with Diesel and a wire brush. I jammed a coat hanger down all the oil passages I could find. Dumped Diesel to rinse and replaced the rocker covers and oil pan. filled it up with oil and Diesel ran it then drained the oil. Refilled and the engine ran smooth. It was clackity before.

8. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

I always finish the can by stalling the engine using seafoam pretty much like fogging the engine.

I have also seen crap out the pipes would concern me if it had to travel thru a catalytic converter....

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I use MMO only in the gas tank.

10. Dragonmedic67

Dragonmedic67 New Member

I'm surprised that people are still buying into this in 2018. You really think a pint of light oil, Naptha and Isopropyl Alcohol is going to undo tens of thousands of miles of neglected maintenance? If you've ever torn down an engine you know its hours of soaking, scraping and wire brushing to remove carbon, sludge and stuck piston rings. 99% of the chem aisle of any parts store is meant to separate the unknowing public from its money. Even worse than these products are the "sealers" that promise to fix cracked blocks, blown head gaskets, worn seals and rotted radiators. I'm sure some guys remember Rislone and all the other garbage that claimed to fix worn bearings and rings.

PalmbchZ28 likes this.