Sea Foam: Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by slayer021175666, Jul 18, 2016.

1. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I think it’s bunk. I soaked some carbon fouled plugs in it for days and didn’t do a thing. Then I did the suck it thru the pvc line, of course it smoked I was burning oil I introduced in chamber.

2. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

We mist water down the intake to help clean off valves and combustion chamber works well.

3. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Veteran Member

Years ago I threw a rod through the block on my old 86 Celica. The only replacement I could find was a JDM motor down in the states. Had the guy ship it up to me, installed it, went to start it and nothing. Checked compression and had 0 across all 4 pistons. Phoned the guy up and he didn't seemed too concerned, said it happens that things seize up when shipping across the ocean. Told me to spray a bunch of WD 40 down the spark plug holes and let it sit over night. Checked them all again the next day and had one that came up to about 20 but the rest did not move.

I started looking online to see if this guy was full of it and came across this product called Sea Foam. All the boating guys raved about it and how it was the only thing that worked for boat motors that saw sea water. I thought man, I gotta find some of this sea foam. Started phoning around everywhere but only the odd parts guy had even heard of it and none had ever brought it in. I contacted Sea Foam themselves and they told me they had just started shipping their product into Canada and that there was a place in Calgary that might have it called Central Auto Parts. I phoned their parts guy and he was so excited that I called. Said they just got their first shipment in that day and it was still sitting on the loading dock but he would go grab a bottle for me.

Long story short, I poured about a teaspoon into each cylinder, let it sit for 20 minutes and checked compression again. All 4 readings came back between 120 and 130. Put the plugs in, started the car and drove it for another 60k until I sold it. I've been a firm believer ever since.

PS, for my Canadian friends NAPA has bottles of Sea Foam on for 7.99 until the end of June!

zfool likes this.
  4. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

I used to work @ Napa and we sold a lot of Sea Foam. One of the regular customers using Sea Foam, also has one of the largest fleets of vehicles in the country, Bell Canada.

5. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

If you ever changed a headgasket that was letting water into the combustion chamber you can plainly see how well water works to de-carbon the combustion chamber.

cadillac_al likes this.
  6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

one of my best memories about 25 years ago had to do with Marvel mystery oil.
    We bought a 68 Chrysler New Yorker, 4 door, 440, torque flight, pristine car for 400 dollars. We routed a windshield wiper tube down the carb, and filled the reservoir with marvel mystery oil. We would pulled up to a car show or race and flood the car with mystery oil and rev it. It would produce a cloud like you've never seen!!! It was hilarious!!

Coadster32 likes this.
  7. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

A close friend worked for one of the major Diesel engine makers. They spent several million developing a fuel conditioner for their generators. They couldn’t make anything that worked better than sea foam. So they pay sea foam to package it under their name.
    I’ve used it religiously in my boats and all small engines. Generally every other tank on the car and truck.

8. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

I was playing with my borescope and shoved it down some cylinders in my Monte Carlo. Holy carbon build up batman. real bad. I will be "seafoaming" this weekend. Anxious to see if it does anything.

9. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just keep in mind to use it correctly....Your engine needs to be up to full temp. It may help, but it's not a miracle worker. If used as routine maint., can certianly help keep things clean. I use it once a year on my small engines around the house.

10. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

That would be a nice lookie loo test for sure. Keep us posted.
    I rev it into an engine and let the engine sit for a while not running so it soaks in then go run it out so to say.