Sea Foam: Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by slayer021175666, Jul 18, 2016.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Many, many years ago, we used to clean engines with Bon Ami. We had several "skeeter beaters" at the salvage yard and would take them out on a deserted road. These were all pre-catalyst cars and trucks. Take the air cleaner off, run the engine at about 3/4 throttle and shake Bon Ami into the carburetor. It would blow huge clouds of white powder out the tail pipe. Several cleared right up and all of them reduced oil consumption. We also used to use Bon Ami to clean windshields but now the cans say NOT to use on glass. In the 60's and earlier, glass was glass. Now windshields have coatings that will mar.

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I had a teacher at a tech school that taught engines. He said He would mix a little Bon Ami with gas and pour it down the carb to seat the rings on a rebuild that smoked. I always thought he was just pulling my leg.

3. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I used it right out of the can. I never thought about mixing it with fuel. A couple of the car had noticeably better power afterward.