Seamsealer

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by arm2004, Sep 26, 2018.

1. arm2004

arm2004 Member

I have replaced the floor pans, cowl panel, outer rockers, outer wheel wells, quarters, all of trunk and inner and outer tail pans on a 70 camaro. I am just about ready to put it in epoxy primmer for body work. My question is when does all the seamsealer go on? Before epoxy, after epoxy before primer sealer, before paint or after paint? what is a good seamsealer to use ( like on inner/ outer wheel wells where they meet, rockers to wheel wells and cowl panel to cowl) Thanks for the help.

2. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

The factory couldn't decide either. Some of mine was put on over primer. Other areas appear to have been put on bare metal and then painted over. I prefer the protective layer of primer before the sealer, but that's just me. Probably doesn't make any difference since the factory did it both ways. The sealer I used came in a caulking tube. It worked, but I think I would have rather had it in a can. That would have been easier to work with IMHO. Or I guess I could have used a fire hose the way the factory did. At least that's what it looks like on my car. I swear the car lost 20 lbs just by stripping off all that excess sealer. :) If you stick with a name brand you should be okay.

3. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Only 20 pounds?
    I've part some cars out that looks like they set the seam sealer gun down on on and walked away!

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

I would epoxy primer the seams first, then use the seam sealer. SEM makes a good 1K seam sealer for a caulking gun. Use a stiff acid brush for the brush strokes if it's something you feel strongly about. Otherwise, just smear it with your finger. Will clean up with wax and grease remover, lacquer thinner, alcohol, etc.

5. arm2004

arm2004 Member

Thanks that is what i plan to do epoxy then seam seal. From a lot of what i read seems there is no problem to top coat the sealer.

6. Huggerorange80

Huggerorange80 Member

Epoxy primer, scuff, then seam sealer. Prime and paint over seam sealer.

At the end of the the day, spraying epoxy primer is going to create the best bond to the metal. The seam sealer is there to fill gaps and keep water out from places it might get caught in. There are some big panel gaps in our cars that you need a big, thick seam sealer for.

7. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

MisterEd likes this.
  8. arm2004

arm2004 Member

Thanks boardog is there a link or can you post more picks of where all you seamsealed. That looks just like mine just on a different rotisserie. What did you do to the EPD coating on new panels before the epoxy coat. I Used the Lord Fusor for the roof skin replacement and when i replaced the cowl panel i will use it on the rest of the car also. Did you use the 800 DTM over the epoxy or is it the 802 HD sealer? Thanks

MisterEd likes this.
  9. MisterEd

MisterEd Member

I'm with arm2004 - Got my shell back from sandblasting and sealer/primer the other day. Going to flip it on it's side to seam seal and put bed liner on the bottom... would love to see something - a document or photos or anything really - that shows the required locations for seam sealer. I have the factory assembly manual and the Fisher body manual. I can't find anything in either. If you have any other photos to share @boardog, that would be awesome!