secondary ignition problem

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by james t, Jan 25, 2017.

1. james t

james t New Member

Jan 1, 2017
    with the ign key on i have power to the ign side of the fuse panel ,but no power to the coil. I checked all the wiring and fusable links from the starter to the firewall and they are ok.I can hot wire the coil and the engine runs.
    another issue my radio _TCS fuse keeps blowing ,this is a seperate problem.what does it supply other than the radio.
    thank you in advance

2. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    TCS - Transmission Control Spark Solenoids
    Often referred to as T.C.S. Solenoids; these solenoids control vacuum to the distributor vacuum advance unit. The solenoid determines when and how much vacuum to release. Typically a vacuum line from the carburetor enters the solenoid and another vacuum line exits the solenoid to the distributor vacuum advance unit (some applications have multiple inlet and outlet lines). The solenoids also rely on an electrical signal provided by other T.C.S. system switches/senders via an electrical connection on the back or side of the solenoid (the Engine Harness or T.C.S. Harness plugs into this connection).

from http://www.wiringharness.com/tcs.htm

3. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    How are you testing the wiring. Are you using ohms to test the wire to the coil is good or are you doing a voltage check. Use a test light or VOM and work from the post of the coil and work your way back to the fuse panel until you find where the 12v appears. By power to the ignition side of the fuse panel you mean you have power to the ignition circuit fuse on both sides of the fuse.

4. james t

james t New Member

Jan 1, 2017

5. james t

james t New Member

Jan 1, 2017
    i have tested with a volt meter from coil to firewall where wire goes into back of fuse box and get no reading with ign key on. However i do get a reading on both sides of ign fuse with ign key on. Would it be possible to rewire the circuit and if so should i rewire into the fuse block or a hot wire off the steering column ign switch pig tail. thanks jim

6. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    . Another thing to look at but its a pain is seperating the firewall connector and test. You may have a bad connection or corrosion issue. You can run a new wire but it needs to be the same gauge and fused at the same rate. If you fuse block connection or connection going through the firwall is tested and found to be bad i would run a new fused circuit.