Seized Idler Arm 1970 Camaro Z28

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Rich Gershman, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Rich Gershman

Rich Gershman New Member

Recently did a complete front suspension rebuild. Purchased complete package from Ecklers. As I was attaching the idler arm to the link I noticed that the idler arm could not be rotated by hand, I had to hit it with a heavy hammer in order to move it. I thought if I greased it, it would move but that didn't help. The car is on the ground with the work completed and it takes a lot of effort to turn the steering wheel... way more than normal. Has anyone experienced this problem, did I just get a seized idler arm?

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

"Hitting it with a heavy hammer" seems a bit much, but my NOS one is really stiff. Putting it in a vice on the vertical part and grabbing it with my hand its tough getting it to move. If I had to guess I would say about 10 to 30 foot-pounds of torque to get it to turn.

3. Rich Gershman

Rich Gershman New Member

Thanks for the response. I would guess that in order to move my arm it would take 100 ft/lbs. I will buy a new one!

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

You really shouldn’t be able to rotate ball and socket joints by hand. I agree excessive...something isn’t right.