Selling questions, what's your take on this?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1971CamaroGuy, May 7, 2019.

1. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

So I have been selling online for almost 20 years now, been a member of eBay since 2001.

Almost 100% of my dealings is with email, facebook, or forum groups. I never have phone conversations with any of my buyers, as I am quick to reply to a email.

This has always worked great for me, no issues. They send the paypal payment and I ship the parts. If there is an issue or question we handle it via email.

So I have something for sale on another site and the last two inquires from members, they started the PM with "call me" and left his number. And the one last night simply asked for my phone number so he could call me.

This was kind of weird two people back to back wanted to have a phone conversation over a part and wonder if this is becoming the trend now?

This isn't top secret stuff I am selling, and I thoroughly described it and took plenty of pics.

I don't really like giving my number out, I get enough spam. I also don't like adding random phone calls coming in when I am busy or can't take the call at the time.

It's one reason why I like email, you can answer at your convenience and there is a paper trail.

Just wondering how other prefer to deal with online transactions? Maybe I am thinking too much into this?

Maybe if I was selling a $12,000 car or something with higher risk or stake I would understand having a phone conversation. But if it's just $100 or less I can't see having to speak to anyone.

2. riderwestslope

riderwestslope Veteran Member

If it's something I might have questions on, or especially something that is a little more pricey, I like to have a phone conversation with a person and kind of feel them out, especially if it's outside of a site like eBay. I don't think it's unreasonable personally. A lot of times, I find it leads to some pretty interesting conversations and you get to hear about their project or find some new networking, especially if it's car parts.

3. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

If I'm selling a car, I agree a phone conversation is mandatory. I also agree that it is not necessary for selling simple things.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I know its a hassle, but I would be inclined to purchase a "burner phone" number to give out to folks.

budro6968 likes this.
  5. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

I've gotten the phone call request a few times lately too. I don't call and they never send another message

6. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I guess I’m old school.
    I like to talk to someone before I spend over a couple hundred or if they need to come to my house for something I can’t ship

dave@ztech and Smokey15 like this.
  7. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I do not have a cell phone, never did and not too quick at responding to E mail because i must be near a computer to do so.
    I like talking when selling or buying something.
    But if you describe the part like you said and have plenty of pictures then there should be no need for conversation.
    Set of door handles. No need for conversation.
    Intake manifold no need for talking.

I can see where you are coming from.

What gets me is some adds say text only!
    Yep No cell phone makes that deal squashed.
    I also like when I tell people I do not own a cell and they tell me to call when i get close to their town and they will give me directions how to get to their place or they will meet me after I call.

Yea I guess they did not hear about no cell phone!
    I am really great with directions and finding places.
    My friends with cell phones get lost often :)

8. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I've noticed since Craigslist started charging for cars for sale ads, there are a lot less ads that say text only. Also, the dealers that were flooding the :by owner" with cars have gone too. Cell phones tend to distract people.I watch YouTube videos from dash cams and have noticed a lot of people who walk out to their car talking on the phone, get in and drive off with the fuel nozzle still in the tank. I've even seen videos of police cars going down the road trailing a hose.

I have to carry one for work. That doesn't mean I use it a lot otherwise. Texting is easier with the new one but I still don't do it much.

jeff swisher likes this.
  9. xten

xten Veteran Member

I prefer talking when buying or selling. I do realize there's a down side, but I get a better feel of the situation by voice inflection, rather than any other type of communication. I'm usually at my business or home, so I still have landlines. I do have a smart phone, but sometimes I have no idea where it is for 3-4 months at a time. When we go anywhere, either my wife or Kid (or both) have a cell phone. I could do without that rubberized slab in my pocket that pulls everything out of the pocket it's in every time I pull it out. Hate texting. Fat fingers.

10. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

The nice thing from a buyers perspective is that a text or email description from the seller can be used in a court of law if the deal goes sour. A verbal description not so much unless its recorded. Not much use for small value items.

xten likes this.