Sent Bella to heaven yesterday

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by xten, Oct 18, 2015.

1. xten

xten Veteran Member

First off, thank you Knuckle Dragger for making us aware of in home euthanasia. We really didn't think we'd need it this soon, but things went bad fast. Bella had severe arthritis, and was getting treated and was responding very well. Thursday was her best day yet. That day we took her for a laser treatment and something must have gone horribly wrong. She wasn't right. She refused to eat or take her pills. Then her stomach swelled and turned red and it looked like burns started to come from the inside. She couldn't walk well, her urine got dark, and her last trip down the steps, she fell. That's when we called the in home service. She was suffering. Had trouble breathing and was throwing up.The vet gave her the shots in her room, on her bed where she was as comfortable as she could have been, gave us an impression of her paw. We both held her till her heart quit and she took her last breath. She's being cremated so they're giving us an urn with her picture on it. I can barely see the keyboard anymore. Rest In Peace Bella. I love You.

2. Rich71

Rich71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wow, thats got to be one of the hardest things to do in life. Take care.

3. Chris71RS

Chris71RS Veteran Member

An Island called "long" in the north atlantic
    She's running around in Heaven playing with all the other dogs who no longer feel any pain. I'm sorry for your loss. Bella's sounds like she was truly a member of the family and you showed her true compassion.

4. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Phil so sorry to hear about yours and Karen's loss. Had to be very rough seeing Bella suffering. Our thoughts are with your family .

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Thanks everyone. The thing that kills me is that she was steadily getting better till Thursday evening. My wife's a mess, and my heart is broken, but we'll get another one. The good times greatly outweigh the bad.
    Here is the most recent pic of her. Taken in September

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  6. camaro lover

camaro lover Veteran Member

it's been about 15 years since we did that to our last dog and it was easier when the vet came to the house. seemed to be more peaceful at the end. sorry for your loss. it will be a tough few days at least.

7. seventy7camaro

seventy7camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've been there. Sorry for your family's loss.

8. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Man, I'm sorry your loss. The sorrow is the price we pay for all the good times. I figure we come out ahead over the long run but it still hurts.

9. xten

xten Veteran Member

Thanks again everyone. Instead of just throwin her dog beds and blankets in the garbage, we burned them in the fire pit last night. I know it sounds weird but it was Karen's idea. Closure? I just went along with it.

10. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Sorry for your loss. Only lived it once with our awesome chocolate Lab Nestle. . .it is really tough!