Serpentine set up. Gen 1 SB

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 8pack, Jun 12, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am rapidly moving towards my engine install. I have done quite a bit if research on the serpentine options but am a bit confused.

Although the are damn sexy, I don't want to spent $1000 on a March or similar set up.

I have an AC car and am still trying to figure out whether to run the Sanden compressor or stick with my stock A6.

Stock hood, mechanical fan and stock shroud.

Areas of help needed:

What are others running and the best options?
    Location of compressor and alternator? I often see them swapped.

I see options like get the set up off of this or that year camaro or truck, but some have smog pumps, AC/alternator swapped, often the direction is just too vague to figure out the right set up.

Are there additional brackets or parts needed when pulling from another vehicle.

Basically a really clear answer on an affordable straight set up.

Thanks all! Great info and help on my tranny post as well as others. This site rocks!

2. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

PM Todd80Z28, I believe he's using a 3rd gen accy drive and Monte SS A/C compressor and lines.

3. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

harness

If you are interested, I build serpentine swap specific engine harnesses-it allows for a 4ga charging system upgrade and I have a NEW adapter bracket design to allow you to bolt on a 140A or larger alternator at the stock alt. location. I fab my own specialty parts so I can help you in this area if you'd like. PM me with questions if you'd like or post up here.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I have it. Unless you really need more power, the CS130 alternator is quite up to the task for a 2nd gen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jakeblue

Jakeblue Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

6. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a sandon compressor and 3rd gen Camaro or 92 caprice setup, the trucks setup puts the compressor and the idler pulley higher and I don't like the way it looks even if it would clear the 2nd gen hood. The compressor is on the passenger side and the hoses on top will not allow hood to close. If I rotate it 90 degrees and route the hoses out toward the passenger fender one of the compressor housing bolts is hitting the tall valve cover. I have roller rockers so I'm going to see if I can find an allen head bolt to replace the 6 point bolt head and see if that will provide adequate clearance. Otherwise I will have to grind the bolt head down or use spacers behind the serp brackets to move everything out, get an aftermarket pulley setup, or try to use the GM pancake style compressor and hope it will work with my classic auto air system. I wanted the compressor on the passenger side to keep from having hoses running over the front of the engine.

BTW I am interested in learning more on the alternator options available and pros and cons so I can pick a direction. I'm going to have a nice stereo and possibly dual electric fuel pumps, so I want to make sure i have one that will be up to the task.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  7. 8pack

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  8. 8pack

In the bottom 2 pictures it looks like you went with the AC delete. Correct?

Which set up is that? Need AC though.

9. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

You can still purchase the Camaro setup new from Summit

or a junkyard. I noticed eBay sellers are high on those brackets.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

It's a 3rd gen setup. I use 1990 5.7L Iroc for parts look up for PS, WP & ALT. I'd have to find the part number for the air pump delete pulley, but I believe it is the same one in GM's current kit. Stock 77 rad hoses, a $14 summit swivel t-stat housing, the 3rd gen upper hose support is bent a bit to work better. Note the Iroc w/p has no heater hose port, if you need that get a truck WP. I had a port i my radiator so I used that.

yes AC delete only because I had not gotten to the AC yet, I always planned to. I even restored the evap box. But I never allocated made the time & money to finish it. CAA has a nice condenser and I'd have had custom lines made.