Serpentine set up. Gen 1 SB

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 8pack, Jun 12, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's what keeps coming up in my research, unless, it is a brand new not rebuilt GM unit which seem to last longer.

2. Madmike72

Madmike72 Veteran Member

I've had good luck using v6 Astro van accessory drive set ups.
    Real cheap at the bone yard and is a little more compact than the full size truck stuff. Bolts right on to a small block.

3. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just got my GMPP set up delivered. Heavy box! UPS guy left it in the rain and my wife had to carry it in with my son.....

Ok, it is all raw aluminum. Paint or powder coat and any suggested paint colors with my Orange block....

Thanks! This has been a great thread.

4. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Heads up I got a new sanden compressor that is shorter and looks like it will work...but! Its going to require a mod on the back of the outside fender side engine side of the serpentine bracket. The shorter compressor has a different spacing between the front and rear mount holes. I think it will work if I can mill about a 1/4" off the back of the aluminum bracken I believe it will work. It surely will clear the valve cover with this one. I'll post some pic's when I get them uploaded and done.

5. ChevyReb

Update: here is a pic of the new shorter compressor after having .190 or 190 thousandths milled off of the bracket just to the right of the lower hose fitting and above the red wire. The machine guy also put a radius after milling it down so it would not be prone to crack. As you can see there is plenty of room here now! You can see the difference in the pic's below.

[​IMG]

1st Compressor they sent was too long!
    [​IMG]

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

interesting. think that will clear tall valve covers? do you have a pic of the milled part of the bracket? what did that work cost?

7. ChevyReb

I don't have a pic of after it was done. But here is a pick I put a yellow arrow pointing to the red box around the area that I had milled off. The new compressor had different spacing between the mounting ears and would not go forward far enough to line up the belt. I had 200 thousandths removed but should have only done about .187" . I paid the guy $20 to do it for me. And yes tall valve covers would have no problem with interfering with all of the clearance I have now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  8. BonzoHansen

oh, to clear the fitting, duh. that didn't sink in!

good info.

9. ChevyReb

No nothing to do with clearing the fitting. The 1st compressor back bolts hit the valve cover when you turned the fittings 90 degrees to the pass side. Strait up hit the hood with the hoses on. So they sent another shorter length compressor and the spacing between the front and rear compressor ears was closer together. So that made is sit 187 thousands to far toward the firewall and made the belt not line up as well as belt hitting front mount bolt. So after milling the serpentine bracket on the rear outside ear as pictured it aligned the compressor more forward so the belt lined up correctly. I hope this makes since?

10. BonzoHansen

yes