Sheetmetal Choices

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by jetech1, Oct 26, 2018.

1. jetech1

jetech1 Member

Sep 20, 2007
    San Antonio,Fl.
    Hello All ! I have a 1971 Camaro RS in need of some panels to be replaced. I live about a 40 minute drive from a National Parts Depot in Ocala Florida, so I could pick up all the panels/parts and not have to pay shipping and not have an issue with damage from shipment. Anyone have experience and/or used NPD panels ? I don't have an issue purchasing from elsewhere if the quality is better.
    I will be purchasing RS grille header panel, maybe both fenders, radiator core support , and a new urethane nose. Who has the Quality these days? AMD , GoodMark , OER , etc.
    Thanks!

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    I have a new Goodmark header, a pair of Goodmark fenders, and a LH AMD fender. Also have a pair of OE fenders. But they will require work.
    If you're interested, PM me. Or text 804.536.2652. I have pics.

3. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    Most parts are made in Asia and sold here as Goodmark, AMD, NPD, etc. Distributor isn't the same as manufacturer.

4. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta Canada
    AMD quarters and rear panel going on 70 Camaro. Can't believe how many imperfections. The LH quarter is 3/16 narrow on the trunk opening. Had to split the q and weld in a strip. Inside Q door striker area all wrinkled like an old elephant's skin. Back end woopied so it doesnt follow trunk line, even before I split it. RH much better, right width to trunk lid, still wrong body line height to trunk lid, better in jamb. When upper body line is matched up, lower is short 3/16. Modified both sides at window corner. Rear end panel absolute abortion. Had to radically modify to fit. Should have cut off lower valance only and matched up. NPD lower valance was junk so went this way. NOT HAPPY !!! Buy NOS even if you pay large, you will save $$. Spend more hours on rear end panel than mounting both quarters. Rear inner wheelhouse panels near perfect though !

5. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Fullerton, CA
    I bought full quarter panels from Classic Industries. They fit well, my body guy didn't mention anything about poor quality or issues on install. Im happy with the results.

6. smokeatr23

smokeatr23 Veteran Member

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    Who did you end up buying from and what was the fit like on the header panel?

7. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta Canada
    I would bet he had more issues than you know !

8. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Dallas,Tx
    I tried the “cheap” route with the lowest cost aftermarket panels I could find. Ended up buying all AMD stuff cause I was told it was better quality and in the end I had to cut and refit a lot of the AMD stuff as well.