Sheetmetal Choices

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by jetech1, Oct 26, 2018.

1. jetech1

jetech1 Member

Hello All ! I have a 1971 Camaro RS in need of some panels to be replaced. I live about a 40 minute drive from a National Parts Depot in Ocala Florida, so I could pick up all the panels/parts and not have to pay shipping and not have an issue with damage from shipment. Anyone have experience and/or used NPD panels ? I don't have an issue purchasing from elsewhere if the quality is better.
    I will be purchasing RS grille header panel, maybe both fenders, radiator core support , and a new urethane nose. Who has the Quality these days? AMD , GoodMark , OER , etc.
    Thanks!

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

I have a new Goodmark header, a pair of Goodmark fenders, and a LH AMD fender. Also have a pair of OE fenders. But they will require work.
    If you're interested, PM me. Or text 804.536.2652. I have pics.

3. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Most parts are made in Asia and sold here as Goodmark, AMD, NPD, etc. Distributor isn't the same as manufacturer.

4. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

AMD quarters and rear panel going on 70 Camaro. Can't believe how many imperfections. The LH quarter is 3/16 narrow on the trunk opening. Had to split the q and weld in a strip. Inside Q door striker area all wrinkled like an old elephant's skin. Back end woopied so it doesnt follow trunk line, even before I split it. RH much better, right width to trunk lid, still wrong body line height to trunk lid, better in jamb. When upper body line is matched up, lower is short 3/16. Modified both sides at window corner. Rear end panel absolute abortion. Had to radically modify to fit. Should have cut off lower valance only and matched up. NPD lower valance was junk so went this way. NOT HAPPY !!! Buy NOS even if you pay large, you will save $$. Spend more hours on rear end panel than mounting both quarters. Rear inner wheelhouse panels near perfect though !

5. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

I bought full quarter panels from Classic Industries. They fit well, my body guy didn't mention anything about poor quality or issues on install. Im happy with the results.

6. smokeatr23

smokeatr23 Veteran Member

Who did you end up buying from and what was the fit like on the header panel?

7. 70ZED

I would bet he had more issues than you know !

8. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

I tried the “cheap” route with the lowest cost aftermarket panels I could find. Ended up buying all AMD stuff cause I was told it was better quality and in the end I had to cut and refit a lot of the AMD stuff as well.

70ZED and Double R Restorations like this.
  9. 70ZED

I agree, the AMD stuff was maybe not worth the extra $ ??

10. hoffmandirt

hoffmandirt Veteran Member

I generally buy Goodmark or AMD. Here's what I currently have on my car and how it fit:
    • Goodmark Quarter Panels - fit well, no issues
    • Goodmark Outer Wheel Houses - fit well, no issues
    • AMD Front Floor Pans - decent, but sit lower/flatter than stock. My speedtech trans crossmember didn't hit the stock floor pans, but does hit the AMD replacement pans. I'll most likely have to cut pockets into them.
    • AMD Roof Skin - fit well, no issues
    • Goodmark Driver Door Skin - fit well
    • Goodmark Tail Panel and Inner Tail - Not happy with the tail pan where the deck lid meets it. I hear AMD's is more crisp and straight.
    • Goodmark Fenders - TBD. At this point I think I'm going to have to cut/move brackets in order to get the fender to fit properly. When my door is perfect, the fender has no more adjustment. The fender body line sticks out further than the door. I tried adding a ton of shims with no luck. These fenders are about 8 years old though. Maybe they are better now?
    • AMD Cowl Panel - Fit well
    • Golden Legion Deck Lid - Random Carlisle buy, fits well
    • Rear Deck Filler Panel - Tried many, can't find one that fits correctly. All of the aftermarket ones seem to get caught up on the deck lid hinge mounting points where the springs attach for some reason.
    Keep in mind that some of the AMD part numbers have an X which means AMD does not make the part so it's most likely the same part the other vendors sell.

70ZED likes this.