Shoud I buy this L94 engine?????

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 70 gsconvt, Nov 23, 2012.

1. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Wadsworth, OH
    I have an opportunity to get a L94 engine out of a newer Escalade that was wrecked for $2800. Engine has 28K miles and comes with front acc., harness, and computer.

Engine has DOD/AFM and VVT. It's a 6.2 all aluminum engine. I'm just wondering if the DOD/AFM and VVT make the engine worth it? Is it expensive to eliminate this stuff? I'm of course greedy when it comes to HP and would not be able to leave it alone in it's stock form of 403 hp and 415 tq. Perhaps "just" a supercharger on top with a new cam.

I'm looking to put this in my '78 Z28 backed by a T56 trans. Any thoughts?

2. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Central Oklahoma
    It would be best to keep the engine in stock form. Eliminating the DOD and VVT would be expensive and will require a differently formatted ecm to make it work.
    It sounds like you found a great deal!

3. 70 gsconvt

Sep 30, 2009
    Wadsworth, OH
    I did some looking around and found that Texas Speed & Performance sells a complete delete kit for $389. to get rid of the DOD/AFM.

4. cdorhout

cdorhout Veteran Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Des Moines, IA
    VVT would be a good thing, right? I always understood that it provided more torque down low. Why do people want to delete it?

I can see why you'd want to delete AFM/DOD though.

5. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So a couple of things here, first Leonard is right, if you delete AFM/VVT you will need a custom tune for the ECM. Which you will need anyway if you plan on modding the 6.2, so it's a wash

Second, if you are going to remove AFM/VVT and mode the 6.2, possibly adding boost, might I suggest you find a 6.0 out of a truck. They are cheaper, don't have the afm/vvt as far as I can remember, and the heads are better for boost. Oh, and they are cheaper.

6. 70 gsconvt

Sep 30, 2009
    Wadsworth, OH
    Well, I was going to keep the VVT as I've read and been told that it does improve torque.....a lot. I didn't realize that that eliminating the DOD/AFM involved new lifters, etc. But I guess it makes sense.

I've always considered a LQ4/LY6. But then I would just stroke it to a 408, with a FAST intake/tbi, and cnc'd L92 heads. Getting this L94 seemed like possibly an easier route. Just slap a supercharger and new cam in it and wahlah, 500 rwhp. Cost would be very similar, about $10K after all was said and done. I would have the advantage of being 100 lbs. lighter up front with the aluminum block.

I know the iron block is more desireable in boost applications. But I'm not looking to push 25 psi through the engine and make 800 hp. I'm figuring more like 5-8 psi with either an Edelbrock supercharger or Magnacharger kind of thing.

7. camarochevy1970

Jan 23, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    you can get a 6.0 out of a truck for a grand. Add a 402 rotating assembly from Texas Speed for 2K and you are just getting to where you would be with this engine. Then run the truck heads and throw a supercharger on it.

I sort of understand where you are coming from weight wise, but, I also know the suspension in the 78 was made for an iron block, so it's not like the front will be sagging with an iron block in it.

That said, it is your money, and if you want the Aluminum 6.2 with VVT then certainly go for it.

8. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    What's the difference between the L94 and L99? Truck/car manifold? No VVT on L99, or is there?

9. camarochevy1970

Jan 23, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
  10. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

Why would the rectangle port heads be bad for boost? There's nothing wrong with using those heads on a boosted motor - forced induction loves volume, I would think they would be a great choice. Just need an LS3 manifold to stuff it all under the hood.